Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Doesn't really matter

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got around to playing ME2, which I bought during the Steam Autumn sale. It seems really fun, but I'm completely lost storywise. Here's what I'm looking for in ME1:

-Decent graphics (doesn't have to be just as good as ME2, but as long as it doesn't suck too much I'm fine)
-Gameplay just as good as ME2 (from what I've heard from a few people, ME2 has better gameplay.)
-Much better storyline when playing ME2 (basically confirmed)

Here's my problem, if I get it, will I even finish it? Judging by my Steam rating, I have around 20 hours per 2 weeks, so I would probably be playing ME1 10-15 hours out of that 20. I'm worried that getting it will just cause me to add to my already huge backlog of games.

Also, lots of people say that ME2 is much better. I don't want to play a game just so I can enjoy another.

Just noticed, I messed up the poll.
doh.gif
Does anyone know how to edit it?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The game play does seem a lot worse when you go back after 2. The story is worth while though, it explains why you're doing and why you're doing in 2. It also will help you realize the importance of the characters and the teammates that you take with you. That being said it would probably take you a month or two at your current pace to beat it. Not too bad, but a quick look on Wiki is cheaper and takes less time.
thumb.gif

Edited for grammar.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,228 Posts
I love ME more than ME2 but I would say yeah. Play it to get a full undestanding of the story.

• Rep+
Reactions: -Allen-

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
I'd really recommend playing the first one, it's quite a different experience to ME2. The gameplay feels a bit more clunky but its alright once you get used to it. Just don't go in expecting to drop enemies quickly on higher difficulties.

The story is good though, and it looks decent enough still.

• Rep+

·
Registered
512 Posts
I would suggest it for the story as well as the ability to carry over character saves from the ME1 to ME2. But as people have said the combat is different as well as the inventory/upgrade system. Uh also as a hint, make sure to quickly level your charm/intimidate to, uh avoid some unpleasantness

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm really irritated right now about PC games so take what I say w/ a grain of salt....
Who gives a flying flip about graphics quality? I mean, REALLY? It's all about GAME PLAY, and for that I haven't found better titles in the games for PC market than ME1 and ME2. YES, play ME1 before ME2! Both are some of the BEST games you'll play currently for PC!!!!!!
ME2 is TERRIBLE??? What drugs are you on? Right now I'd have to say that ME2 is the best single player game I've ever played on a PC.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Definitely play ME1. Especially if you plan to play ME2 and ME3.

The two big reasons are:

1) Story and Characters: A large amount of locations, characters, and story continue throughout both games (and into ME3). Not just the characters, but things you've said, done, or assisted with those characters (or things you chose NOT to do).
2) Shepard and choices: Your Shepard, and the choices you make in each game, get referenced as you go forward. ME2 can access the save game from ME1 and not only import your Shepard, but also a lot of the "key event" choices you made in your game, and it references them in the story.

So I definitely recommend giving it a play through. Yes the mechanics, especially the stupid vehicle missions, are a step back from ME2... but the story is solid, and it's awesome to see the characters and choices you've made (key events, romances, etc) continue in one large story.

By the time I finish ME3 it will be one large story from my Shepard going back years. I'm psyched.

·
Registered
243 Posts
As mentioned multiple times, ME1 combat mechanics feel terrible/dated even without having played ME2. Going backwards from ME2 to the first one...hmmm....

That being said, once you get past the feeling of the controls and the poorer graphics of ME1, you'll find it to be an awesome game. The story is good (and needed in order to fully understand ME2) and completing the game will seriously make you want to play the second one that much more.

Sent via Tapatalk...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I had this same question before I played either of them. I personally liked ME1 more and am glad I played it first.

If you are asking this, I would definitely play ME1 first
smile.gif

• Rep+

·
Registered
924 Posts
As a matter of fact, I'm installing ME2 again on my rig to play it for the 4th time or so to get myself mentally prepped for ME3. I'm SO PISSED right now about the newest games available for PC. I just keep going back to the games I've already played because the new games I've tried blow so hard!

·
Premium Member
15,770 Posts
I had played Mass Effect 2 a bit on PS3 but never finished it

So when I switched back to PC gaming I decided to play the first one first.

It was OK. Nothing spectecular but it does seem like Mass Effect 2 is a MAJOR improvement over Mass Effect 1

However now I know how the story starts and whom the charaters are much better.

So yeah I would advise you to play the first one just for the sake of getting to know the characters a bi.

Also you can carry on to your save from ME1 to ME2 which is amazing

Its not that long either.

• Rep+

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
ME1 is a must play.

^most of the above posts got it.

I was so angry when ME2 had a different ammo system, ME1 was awesome. It forced strategy.

And use grenades sparingly, they are difficult to come by in ME1.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mass Effect 1 is a must play. If it's dated graphics bothering you there are two ways to fix it.
First go through the tweak guide: http://www.tweakguides.com/ME_1.html
Mostly the advanced tweaks, they push the engine more, and give you a much better image.
Then force AA, and other features on it though nforce/radeonpro, and the game will WOW you visually. Definatily better than ME2 vanilla with everything maxed out.
Great thing being it's the same engine for ME2, you can tweak and force AA/etc onto it as well and make it look impressive, also modding support is there in the 2nd moreso than the 1st.
Quote:
Originally Posted by croSSeduP View Post

ME2 is TERRIBLE??? What drugs are you on? Right now I'd have to say that ME2 is the best single player game I've ever played on a PC.
Kinda bold statement when it was deeply flawed in a lot of regards. Not going to go into it to deeply, but Renegade points for turning romance with a npc down, and Paragon for hoping into the sack? Thats utterly absurd.

Baldur's Gate 2 by FAR takes best SP game on PC for me. And I've put probably 2-300 hours into ME2, and more in ME1. And I just finished a Renegade playthrough through ME1&2 this week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.