Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Referring to this http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=9234 which was made by a buddy for me. I am currently at 2403MHz (267x9) and am stable. CPU is running at 36-38C idle and 49-50C under full load, with a few short hits at 51C. I would like some input on whether you all think I should go the max and try 2500MHz (278x9). I do not want to fry my machine and would like some input on whether or not I should attempt 2.5GHz. My specs should help the decision and input. I believe they show up in my profile or signature or whatever. I dont need 2.5GHz per say, 2.4GHz is fine for what I need it to do. I'm just saying 2.5GHz sure would look sexy. Please post your input on whether or not I should attempt 2.5GHz (278x9). Thanks.

-wC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I noticed the idle temps go down from 38-39C to 35-37C in a matter of minutes. I have no idea what caused this drop, could be room temp lowering. Temp in my room has been 83F all day today and it still feels hot. I know it is always said to shorten the life of the CPU. How much life will be taken? I was just wondering out of curiosity. I mean I am pretty sure it can do 2.5GHz, but should I?

-wC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you mean the ram temps... While Prime95 was running at full load for about 40 minutes, I touched the heatspreader of my ram stick with my hand and it was not hot. It was warm, but not hot. It was cool enough to where you could leave your hand on it for an hour and not get burned, or even longer than an hour. If you mean just the amount it's OC'd. I have no clue. I might stay at 2.4GHz because I cannot afford for any component of my computer to die.

-wC

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
What Yiffy means is can the RAM keep up ith the 278Mhz you want to bump your FSB upto.

AMD 64 will only show a performance gain in a 1:1 configuration... I have taken my CPU all the wau upto 300FSB using different multis and ratios to keep my ram as close to 250MHz as possible an in every test performance was very poor.

If your RAM cant run 1:1 then I would say dont even bother trying 2.5 until you have some faster better RAM.

At the moment I am stuck at 2.5GHz 250x10 1:1 RAM Ratio.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK

What Yiffy means is can the RAM keep up ith the 278Mhz you want to bump your FSB upto.

AMD 64 will only show a performance gain in a 1:1 configuration... I have taken my CPU all the wau upto 300FSB using different multis and ratios to keep my ram as close to 250MHz as possible an in every test performance was very poor.

If your RAM cant run 1:1 then I would say dont even bother trying 2.5 until you have some faster better RAM.

At the moment I am stuck at 2.5GHz 250x10 1:1 RAM Ratio.

Currently I'm at 267x9 with my ram at 1:1. I have no idea if I can handle 278x9. No idea whatsoever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.