Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys heres the deal...

I have over time ripped my entire cd collection to my pc since all my listening is done on here. I started out with a small logitech 2.1 system and just clicked rip in Windows Media Player and did the default rip so I wouldnt have to put cd's in my pc anymore.

Well time went by and I decided I love my music enough to want some real speakers so I upgraded to an M-audio Fast Track Pro and 2 KRK Systems Rockit 8" studio monitors.

Then I realized my music on my pc wasn't that hot of quality since the standard WMP rip setting is 128kbps Windows Media Audio so I said screw it and deleted everything and set the rip quality setting slider all the way up to 192kbps thinking that was some good stuff!

Now I am seeing WMP can rip diffrent formats including Windows Media Lossless and some others, and with all this talk about FLAC I wonder if I should do it again and delete all my music and spend like 2 days swapping discs in and out of my drive ripping to some lossless format.... it seems like my audio system can deff handle the ultra high quality... But it is so much work to do that and alot of the cd's i've ripped are friends that I no longer have access too. What should I do?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Do you have the storage space? If so, I'd say go for it if you have the time. If you don't have the time, you'll be ok with what you have for a little while. You will definitely see a difference with FLAC. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
the files are on your PC? just use a converter? xilisoft video converter ultimate does a great job converting everything I need, way easier then deleting and redoing everything.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldman11;12000048
the files are on your PC? just use a converter? xilisoft video converter ultimate does a great job converting everything I need, way easier then deleting and redoing everything.
Do you, kind sir, have any knowledge of lossless audio? You can not convert a lossy format to a lossless format.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
The problem with converting is that it does no good going from a lower bitrate lossy format to a higher, lossless one.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Nibbles;12000098
Do you, kind sir, have any knowledge of lossless audio? You can not convert a lossy format to a lossless format.
Aww, I was gonna lol at that guy and make fun of him, but I guess I'm too late
frown.gif
I'd just look like a dick. Well, I am, so why not?
thinking.gif

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:
"You cannot polish a turd"; in other words... you cannot re-insert the "lost" parts of a 128 magically into a 192+

OP: Yes... Given that storage is cheap-as-chips atm I would say go for Flac!

(Especially if you have a nice soundcard and sound-system
smile.gif

[edit] Darn! beaten by the downloads slowing my posting :|

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Quote:
n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

Got the space?

DO IT!
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
To answer you question OP: I would suggest buying a few cheap CD drives or at least a newish fast one. I ripped over 300 albums to FLAC on a slow drive and ended up giving up before I finished. Or, as someone already suggested, install a few temporary drives from friends computers to speed up the process.

FLAC is worth it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skatingrocker17
View Post

Yeah I would do it if I needed to. A lot of people recommend dBpoweramp and you can even rip more than 1 CD at a time if you have enough drives.

dbpoweramp is the only tool you need for lossless managing.

Only application that i've found that does FLAC > WMA Lossless, For use with Zune.

Srsly, Jesus made this.

·
Registered
421 Posts
DO IT!!

When I put all mine I thankfully I knew about that and did put them all into a lossless format. You notice the difference. I have some songs that I have collected and they are in lower formats it is immediately apparent.

Good time killer when you are jobless and looking on the internet and such. I just set mine to automatically rip and pop the cd out when it was finished. So when it popped out just slid another in and went on. Took me about a week I think for all I had.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
What if I have a cheap Logitech X-530 set and built-in sound card? Worth it? Excuse the high-jack, just got curious.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Related question, I have all my music in 320 mp3, and I use WMP, cause I really like the library layout, pretty much. Now I can get WMP to play .flac files with a codec, but can i make it see all the info about the files, meaning, can I get that entire library, using flac. Or do I have to use another player? I tried winamp, but just can't get used to it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks fellers, I actually got hold of a full album in FLAC and re-ripped an album of mine in Lossless Windows media audio and listened to both.

I noticed vocals are much more defined and have more range, also bass is much more rounded and clear.

I think I am gonna do it, I can pull the internal disc drives out of my mom and brother's computers and just lay them out by my pc and have 3 drives running at once... lol

Question now is I have always used Windows Media Player to listen to my music because I love the sorting and browsing options and it just works for me. My brother uses winamp and I really like the more simple graphical interface of WMP more, so I would have to do either Windows media Lossless or find a way to get FLAC to show as playlists in it and play though it... Is there a way or maybe another decent player?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernosaint;12000247
Related question, I have all my music in 320 mp3, and I use WMP, cause I really like the library layout, pretty much. Now I can get WMP to play .flac files with a codec, but can i make it see all the info about the files, meaning, can I get that entire library, using flac. Or do I have to use another player? I tried winamp, but just can't get used to it.
Exactly what I am asking, not a fan of Winamp and love the Windows Media Player layout alot.

To the huy with the X530 Logitech set, that's what I upgraded from to my current Monitor setup and it was such a step up it's not even funny!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts