Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have a p4 prescott socket 478 2.4ghz its overclocked to 3.21 on a abit aI7 and thermaltake big typoon i can boot up at 3.4ghz on 1.5 volts but after an hour or so the computer crashes when im running s&m and prime 95 thats when the temps hit 54c load my idle is 42c and sys temp is 27c so im thinking about removing the ish so i can get it a few c lower i also have a 2.8ghz cely would that peform better than the prescott if i have it overcloked and the p4 at 3.2 cause i am wondering which chip i should practice on removing the ish i herd that its soldered on but im thinking of mabie heating it up with a dryer and probly a soldering iron so which chip should i sacrafice
basically im trying to ask if the p4 is overcloked to 3.2 and the cely is also overcloked to its limity like the p4 which one would give me better performance and i would remove the ish on the slower one and if i get it off i will try it on both chips also i have the big typoon and i know how hard this thing can be tightened so i think i will just tighten it with a tiny screw driver so i dont push the core through the otherside

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
If you can wedge 4 razor blades under each corner of the IHS, just enough to put upward pressure on it, don't go too far. Then just heat the IHS with a soldering iron, or propane torch until the IHS and CPU come apart. Here is an illustration:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/DSCN0928.jpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so what chip should i sacrafice 2.8 cely or 2.4 prescott i will try the soldering iron first then the torch
hope it dosent kill it

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the celly.
I bet the P4 irons it...

·
Banned
5,844 Posts
A Prescott IHS is Soldered on. You cant just cut it off. You need either a heat source on it to melt the solder after you cut the rubber mounting the IHS around the edges. I have also seen people cut the rubber off the wedge razorblades on top of each other slowly to get it off. (thought that has a high failure rate)

EDIT: Thats a northwood core chip you have there. Prescotts are soldered, northwoods are normal

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the thermal paste they use is dry like powder i bet it would work better if i put some as5 and stick it back together but i wont be doing that

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
I would say don't sacrifice either. Get an old or fried P4 from the forums or newegg. I'm sure that if you put up a wanted thread for a fried P4 somebody would have one lying around

1 - 14 of 14 Posts