Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,403 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bk7794 View Post
Well I got the Noctua nh-u12p. I was looking up the fan that came with it. I saw that the cfm was kinda lame with only 54cfm. I was wondering if I should swap one of my intake fans (antec tri cool) and see if I can get better temps. Do you think its worth it?
You might see a few C drop and you can test that by setting up the tri-cool in push. If you are seeing a decent drop then by all means upgrade your fans. Trial and error always works best, especially when its free
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowclock View Post
You might see a few C drop and you can test that by setting up the tri-cool in push. If you are seeing a decent drop then by all means upgrade your fans. Trial and error always works best, especially when its free

lol. okay. I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 scythe ultra kaze 3k. But they are heavy. Are they okay to have that weight on that cpu cooler?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
The Noctua is designed for low RPM fans, I'm not sure it scales efficiently for higher RPMS, i think the fin spacing is too small? I'd ask to borrow a mates or something before buying the Ultras.

Secondly going from 1300RPM to 3000RPM is a jump from 19db to 45db. Not many people could put up with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohforfupsake View Post
The Noctua is designed for low RPM fans, I'm not sure it scales efficiently for higher RPMS, i think the fin spacing is too small? I'd ask to borrow a mates or something before buying the Ultras.

Secondly going from 1300RPM to 3000RPM is a jump from 19db to 45db. Not many people could put up with that.
i don't really care about sound. Infact when I sleep I kinda need the back ground noise
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,301 Posts
With that cooler, you might as well keep the stock fan; you won't see much difference using a high-pressure or high-speed fan. If you don't like the color or whatever, you can always get a medium-speed Yate from Petras (when it's back in stock, anyway), should do fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp
View Post

With that cooler, you might as well keep the stock fan; you won't see much difference using a high-pressure or high-speed fan. If you don't like the color or whatever, you can always get a medium-speed Yate from Petras (when it's back in stock, anyway), should do fine.

Should I try the antec anyway? I mean I am wondering this because I can potentially get 1 more thing from newegg and I was planning on getting another fan. I was actually looking at the silverstone fan. How would that do?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,857 Posts
The Noctua works best with the low speed fan. Replacing the fan with higher CFM won't gain you anything. Adding a second (pull) may knock off a degree or two at the most.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gymenii View Post
The Noctua works best with the low speed fan. Replacing the fan with higher CFM won't gain you anything. Adding a second (pull) may knock off a degree or two at the most.
That's not entirely true. It doesn't experience as much of a temp drop as coolers with higher fin density, but it's still there.

The tri cool will knock off at least a couple C.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,857 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ljason8eg
View Post

That's not entirely true. It doesn't experience as much of a temp drop as coolers with higher fin density, but it's still there.

The tri cool will knock off at least a couple C.

OK, let me rephrase that.

Replacing the fan with higher CFM will net you minimal gains, at the expense of more noise.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: bk7794

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:


Originally Posted by ljason8eg
View Post

That's not entirely true. It doesn't experience as much of a temp drop as coolers with higher fin density, but it's still there.

The tri cool will knock off at least a couple C.

how about atleast a silverstone. I kinda want my 2nd led fan there
. Thanks to all that helped. Keep em coming please/
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top