Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bk7794 View Post
Well I got the Noctua nh-u12p. I was looking up the fan that came with it. I saw that the cfm was kinda lame with only 54cfm. I was wondering if I should swap one of my intake fans (antec tri cool) and see if I can get better temps. Do you think its worth it?
You might see a few C drop and you can test that by setting up the tri-cool in push. If you are seeing a decent drop then by all means upgrade your fans. Trial and error always works best, especially when its free

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowclock View Post
You might see a few C drop and you can test that by setting up the tri-cool in push. If you are seeing a decent drop then by all means upgrade your fans. Trial and error always works best, especially when its free

lol. okay. I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 scythe ultra kaze 3k. But they are heavy. Are they okay to have that weight on that cpu cooler?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Noctua is designed for low RPM fans, I'm not sure it scales efficiently for higher RPMS, i think the fin spacing is too small? I'd ask to borrow a mates or something before buying the Ultras.

Secondly going from 1300RPM to 3000RPM is a jump from 19db to 45db. Not many people could put up with that.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohforfupsake View Post
The Noctua is designed for low RPM fans, I'm not sure it scales efficiently for higher RPMS, i think the fin spacing is too small? I'd ask to borrow a mates or something before buying the Ultras.

Secondly going from 1300RPM to 3000RPM is a jump from 19db to 45db. Not many people could put up with that.
i don't really care about sound. Infact when I sleep I kinda need the back ground noise

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
With that cooler, you might as well keep the stock fan; you won't see much difference using a high-pressure or high-speed fan. If you don't like the color or whatever, you can always get a medium-speed Yate from Petras (when it's back in stock, anyway), should do fine.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp
View Post

With that cooler, you might as well keep the stock fan; you won't see much difference using a high-pressure or high-speed fan. If you don't like the color or whatever, you can always get a medium-speed Yate from Petras (when it's back in stock, anyway), should do fine.

Should I try the antec anyway? I mean I am wondering this because I can potentially get 1 more thing from newegg and I was planning on getting another fan. I was actually looking at the silverstone fan. How would that do?

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
The Noctua works best with the low speed fan. Replacing the fan with higher CFM won't gain you anything. Adding a second (pull) may knock off a degree or two at the most.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gymenii View Post
The Noctua works best with the low speed fan. Replacing the fan with higher CFM won't gain you anything. Adding a second (pull) may knock off a degree or two at the most.
That's not entirely true. It doesn't experience as much of a temp drop as coolers with higher fin density, but it's still there.

The tri cool will knock off at least a couple C.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljason8eg
View Post

That's not entirely true. It doesn't experience as much of a temp drop as coolers with higher fin density, but it's still there.

OK, let me rephrase that.

Replacing the fan with higher CFM will net you minimal gains, at the expense of more noise.

• Rep+
Reactions: bk7794

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljason8eg
View Post

how about atleast a silverstone. I kinda want my 2nd led fan there
. Thanks to all that helped. Keep em coming please/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts