Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have these two WD 2TB Drives I could RMA if needed.

What's your opinion?

P.S First post in the new forum system... this is confusing.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you still got warranty on them then why not? Better do it before they die so you can transfer all the data.

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you still got warranty on them then why not? Better do it before they die so you can transfer all the data.
The refurbished / recertified drives they give might be worse?

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are going for the RMA then they must give you new drives.Why The refurbished / recertified ?
WD RMA support team is really nice to talk to.I'm sure they will get you a new ones.
That's what WD does. They always give refurbished or recertified drives when RMA'ing.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,402 Posts
i'm far from an expert in storage but i believe sector counts/allocation/errors is a sign of impending doom.

imo, refrubs would be better and maybe consider buying other manufacturers' drives in the future.

·
Storage Nut
21,109 Posts
Get any and all important data off them ASAP. I have a 4TB Seagate here with pending sector and uncorrectable sector count as well. Guess what? I can no longer read the data on the drive lol. I lost 16GB of a torrent pack, so i really don't care, but you may lose your data, so it is best to back up now and RMA.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
I would. The drive from the top image has 590 uncorrectable sectors (dead basically). The second one has 20 uncorrectable bad sectors. They are definitely worthy of an RMA.

Get any and all important data off them ASAP. I have a 4TB Seagate here with pending sector and uncorrectable sector count as well. Guess what? I can no longer read the data on the drive lol. I lost 16GB of a torrent pack, so i really don't care, but you may lose your data, so it is best to back up now and RMA.

Yep agreed. Roadkil's unstoppable copier is a beast.

·
Registered
78 Posts
They replied back to my email and you was right.

Regarding your request of assistance for the RMA, please note that the replacements shipped are recertified drives.
If you wish to get a new device, you shall contact the place of purchase, and ask if they will replace it for you provided you are in their terms for replacement.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Any comapny really does that though. Even if you RMA a video card, motherboard, etc it will be a recertified drive. Also a very common occurrence in enterprise as well.

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did just that and got my files. I decided to zero fill the drive and while doing that I've read doing a low-level format might fix bad sectors... Finished the zero fill and error scanned with HD Tune, Full Windows Format, copy files that were on it, and did a chkdsk.

It saw nothing. What does that mean? I'm doing another error scan now.

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did just that and got my files. I decided to zero fill the drive and while doing that I've read doing a low-level format might fix bad sectors... Finished the zero fill and error scanned with HD Tune, Full Windows Format, copy files that were on it, and did a chkdsk.

It saw nothing. What does that mean? I'm doing another error scan now.
Quoting myself here... My bad, I forgot I didn't mention this one 1TB drive I have that also has problems. The two 2TB drives I shown in the original posts haven't been touched, I'm waiting to get a new 2TB drive to backup them to.

But I have this WD Green 1TB that scanned with a huge amount of bad sectors and wouldn't even scan beyond 650GB. I backed up the files from it which seems to be all intact and did the procedure from my quoted above.

Crystal Disk report was the same before and after the zeroing with HD Tune. I failed to save what the SMART report was from HD Tune before zeroing it.

Attachments

·
zero-zero
48 Posts
i always wonder... what if the controller/enclosure/cable/vibration/magnetic interference is bad? especially when multiple drives show the same symptoms

also important is if the numbers are increasing, i have some drives that permanently have an 'error' on them when the cable was loose or the power cut out (well, it's not a sector error but still)

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Bad sectors like that? Not a chance. Speaking from someone who was a former data recovery engineer.

The 2 first two drives the customer mentioned have over 11k hours. WD greens especially from the Diablo3s series (which are those 2) were known for developing bad sectors early.

The other drive is a WD green drive being a WD green drive. I personally will never install a WD green drive into system. Either Blacks or Blues. Even then I mainly only trust WD black drives. That and hitachi/Toshiba drives and older Samsung drives.

·
Questionnaire galore!
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bad sectors like that? Not a chance. Speaking from someone who was a former data recovery engineer.

The 2 first two drives the customer mentioned have over 11k hours. WD greens especially from the Diablo3s series (which are those 2) were known for developing bad sectors early.

The other drive is a WD green drive being a WD green drive. I personally will never install a WD green drive into system. Either Blacks or Blues. Even then I mainly only trust WD black drives. That and hitachi/Toshiba drives and older Samsung drives.
When will I start seeing those bad sectors back? I've rescanned now with HD Tune and did a chckdsk and I still haven't seen them surface again.

The first two drives in my original posts is Blue's WD20EZRZ that run at 5400.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Wait is this serious?I didn't know that.

Edit: I just emailed them about this.I'll let you know if it's really true.
It's true. WD will replace it with a refurbished drive. I speak from personal experience when I had a WD Green start throwing reallocation errors and ED replaced it with a refurb, which worked just fine until I replaced it with an SSD (a friend is now using it). Keep in mind even a refurbished drive is better than a dead or dying one.

If you don't have a backup drive with your data on it (You should, btw) or you're just in a hurry (like I was), you can have WD cross-ship the replacement. You will need to give them a credit or debit card number for them to put a hold on the replacement cost should you fail to return the old drive but they will lift that hold as soon as they receive the old drive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts