Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My specs are listed below, but i plan to get a 9800gt so would xp or vista 32bit be a better OS for me to run.

One more question
ok 1 thing i formatted xp yesterday and ive been getting these weird cpu spike. Out of nowhere my cpu would spike to 100% and it would just like hell including my sound. Only a restart fixes this problem. It happened 5 times already so what is wrong?

·
Registered
550 Posts
XP...
Less than 3GB of RAM is no go for Vista.

·
Initializing...
23,796 Posts
With that rig id stick to XP x86 then once you get 4GB of ram then get vista x64 or Windows 7 x64 once its out.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I wouldn't even give XP a thought. Go with Vista. I'd recommend the 64bit version, but if you really want 32bit still then that would be fine.

And if your worried spec wise put it this way, Desktop machines started running the 6150 Integrated chip for Vista. The ram though may be an issue, however I ran 2GB on Vista for almost a year and it worked out alright, not awesome but alright.

Also Vista will be better if you want to take advantage of the DX10 capabilities of that 9800GT you plan on buying.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
dual core and 2GB ram, no matter what else you stick in your system, with that cpu and ram XP ONLY.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilxkid24
View Post

so even with a 9800gt stick with xp?

Graphics card is not what is important to run Vista... Even the crappiest DX9 card can run aero and stuff.

But the system is too bloated RAM-wise, so you need 4GB.

I actually like Vista, I began using it before SP1 and that was hell... Now Vista is a pretty acceptable system, RAM bloating being the only downside.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Yea i tried running vista on my old Skt 939 4400+ X2 with 3GB of ram and it slowed it WAYYYYY down. Stick with XP

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Yes if you are gaming, as stated above iv already ran vista with a dual core computer and 3GB of ram. I noticed a major slow down of load times for everything and even lower FPS in games.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok 1 thing i formatted xp yesterday and ive been getting these weird cpu spike. Out of nowhere my cpu would spike to 100% and it would just like hell including my sound. Only a restart fixes this problem. It happened 5 times already so what is wrong?

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Yea it will run fine, but did you ever run XP on it before?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timlander
View Post

Yea it will run fine, but did you ever run XP on it before?

running xp as we speak, i went back and forth to vista and xp.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeRoth
View Post

I trying going back to XP a few times when Vista was still shiny and I wanted to vomit. Now being on 7 I vomit when I use Vista. Old OS's and I don't get along well.

Ah ok, is 7 that good?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts