Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am getting that itch again - you know, not the one you get from nasty women on the corner, the itch to upgrade! I got a bit bored with my i7 920 and was able to snatch a i7 940 up that, while at this point somewhat dated (as is the good ol' 920), is going to provide me with some extra multy room to breathe.
I also snagged a h50 while i was at it - should work great.
My dilema is whether or not I should sell my gtx285 now, or after the new nvidia cards come out. Regardless of whether or not I decide to go with fermi at all, I'm thinking now would be a good time to sell this, opinions?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,045 Posts
I say wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
Personally I'd say sell sell sell! The new Fermi cards are indeed down the pipeline and many people are going to be selling their cards to upgrade. You should get ahead of the loop as the launch date is drawing nearer and nearer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,045 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by duhasttas
View Post

Personally I'd say sell sell sell! The new Fermi cards are indeed down the pipeline and many people are going to be selling their cards to upgrade. You should get ahead of the loop as the launch date is drawing nearer and nearer.

Bad news for me and my 295... good thing I am still within my 100 day BFG trade up period!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Penryn
View Post

Bad news for me and my 295... good thing I am still within my 100 day BFG trade up period!

Stuff is going to get even crazier soon I think
Thank goodness for BFGs policies indeed ha
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Definitely wait.

Yeah, Fermi's gonna jump start the used market... but remember, the first iteration of Fermi is likely going to be a very limited release (Unless someone has hard evidence that they're going to send out 100,000+ units, which I've had absolutely no inclination of).

The people that DO get them will be in the market to unload their chips, so some decent used cards will become available - but not that many. What's really going to throw people off is that the people that waited to see if Fermi would impact consumer prices are going to see that their time was wasted, especially since alot of other higher end cards (58xx/+ except for 5970) are becoming increasingly limited or back-ordered. Diamond, for example, wont have new 5850s to Newegg (at least) until 4/5/10, well after Fermi's 'release'.

Be a little patient and you should be able to find a market for your 285 when the time comes (if that time is at or shortly after initial release of Fermi).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Lt.AldoRaine
View Post

Hey guys,
I am getting that itch again - you know, not the one you get from nasty women on the corner, the itch to upgrade! I got a bit bored with my i7 920 and was able to snatch a i7 940 up that, while at this point somewhat dated (as is the good ol' 920), is going to provide me with some extra multy room to breathe.
I also snagged a h50 while i was at it - should work great.
My dilema is whether or not I should sell my gtx285 now, or after the new nvidia cards come out. Regardless of whether or not I decide to go with fermi at all, I'm thinking now would be a good time to sell this, opinions?

I would sell now, I can't imagine the 285 would increase in value when the newer cards are available. Myself, I wouldn't bother waiting for reviews on the GTX480 since you know how ATI's new cards perform. If you don't like the numbers on Fermi then fall back on a 5870 or 5970 at that point. Just my $0.02.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
Some of the initial benchmarks recently found in the News section say that the GTX480 about matches the 5870. So you buy a 5850, OC it to 5870 speeds, save some decent coin, and profit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,675 Posts
Right now the 285's are still selling for between 250 and 300 USD. on the flea
there are not that many 285's on the market right now so price is still up
That could change once the 400 series hits the shelfs and with more cards on the used market the price will come down.

Looking to pick up a rev.A Evga 285 then for W.C. SLI
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,347 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Frosty88
View Post

I would sell now, I can't imagine the 285 would increase in value when the newer cards are available. Myself, I wouldn't bother waiting for reviews on the GTX480 since you know how ATI's new cards perform. If you don't like the numbers on Fermi then fall back on a 5870 or 5970 at that point. Just my $0.02.

Pretty smart, this post is
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,051 Posts
Another option you have, look for a second 285 for SLI. I don't know what you are playing right now but 285 SLI can handle anything out there I'm sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by The Master Chief
View Post

Pretty smart, this post is


Thanks Chief, it was my 500th post too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
If u have enough money to buy Fermi after selling GTX285, then its the right time to sale it out.
You'll get good value for it now but after release of Fermi alot of older cards will be up for sale and that will decrease value of ur card significantly.
 

·
Initializing...
Joined
·
23,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by linskingdom View Post
If you have budget and plan to upgrade, definitely sell it now. Otherwise, should wait. It is still a pretty good GPU.
^ Like he said!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,988 Posts
I say sell now and if you need your computer for the time being, then get this $15 8400GS on eBay.

I sold my GTX 285 back in June for $280. So my 5870 only cost me $100 initially (Bing cashback helped with the rest
).
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top