Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

A guy is selling his 4870 and wanne trade it for a other card.Should i trade my 9800GX2 for a 4870(512 mb version) with some money?I got a X38 board so i was thinking to buy a second 4870 when the prices are dropping but will i get more performance in newer games?

Weeman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,761 Posts
I'd switch it out if I were you. Unless you fold or plan to fold, of course. Let me clarify though. Are you saying that it'd be an even trade, plus you'd have to put down some extra cash?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,282 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by weebeast
View Post

Hey guys

A guy is selling his 4870 and wanne trade it for a other card.Should i trade my 9800GX2 for a 4870(512 mb version) with some money?I got a X38 board so i was thinking to buy a second 4870 when the prices are dropping but will i get more performance in newer games?

Weeman

If you plan to crossfire then yes. If not then no I would not.
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
47,382 Posts
If you are having problems with GX2 then yes if not then dont.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,282 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Silver_WRX02
View Post

I just read some new reviews about the 9800GX2. People are saying that the new Driver 180.48 increases the 9800GX2 performance by about 38%. It's performance is under but close with the 4870x2. So if I were u, I wouldn't trade it.

WhuuuuuHH???
I will have to see these.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,761 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Silver_WRX02
View Post

I just read some new reviews about the 9800GX2. People are saying that the new Driver 180.48 increases the 9800GX2 performance by about 38%. It's performance is under but close with the 4870x2. So if I were u, I wouldn't trade it.

I've installed the 180.48 drivers and have noticed no improvements.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,532 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Emotional Post-it Note
View Post

I've installed the 180.48 drivers and have noticed no improvements.

same. they actually F'd me over..... my screen had a million lines in it when windows loaded went back to old drivers and its fine
(really tho it could have just been a bad install, just didnt want to waste time in reinstalling the same drivers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,069 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Silver_WRX02
View Post

I just read some new reviews about the 9800GX2. People are saying that the new Driver 180.48 increases the 9800GX2 performance by about 38%. It's performance is under but close with the 4870x2. So if I were u, I wouldn't trade it.

qft, they helped A TON for me. and not just in FPS, but alot less micro stuttering.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,160 Posts
4870. You don't have to worry about micro stuttering and games not working [Well] with multiple GPUs. You'll also have a higher, minimal frames count and probably an average frames count thats on par with the GX2. The only negative is that you'll see the 4870 drop off in those nVidia optimized games *Crysis, I'm looking at you* and your high end frames count won't be up to par in a lot of cases. I think you'll get a more consistent experience overall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,335 Posts
Of course not.
The 9800GX2 outperforms the 4870...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,927 Posts
i would not do it unless you were to get the 4870 1gb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the reply's

At the moment i dont have any problems with games but i heard that new games wont work well with the GX2(driver problems).

Emotional Post-it Note: The trader so the other guy should pay me some money for the GX2

I wanted to buy a second 4870 when the prices dropped a little bit so i can run crossfire using the money i had from the trader

180.48 works good and i have a average fps op 35 in far cry 2.Ultra high AA set to 4 and 1680*1050 resolution
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top