Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting the latest graphics card to make sure I am cooler than all my friends. My buddy just built a new rig, water cooling, christmas lights, everything, and another friend just hooked up eyefinity, so now I need to step up my game, otherwise, I may need to get new friends with less bragging rights. What do you think? Should I go for the 6970?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAFX
View Post

I'm thinking about getting the latest graphics card to make sure I am cooler than all my friends. My buddy just built a new rig, water cooling, christmas lights, everything, and another friend just hooked up eyefinity, so now I need to step up my game, otherwise, I may need to get new friends with less bragging rights. What do you think? Should I go for the 6970?

for bragging rights yes! GO for it

·
Registered
241 Posts
but what if one your friends buy a GTX 580?? LOL

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipseaudio4
View Post

Lol if you need the greatest then wait for the 6990, and ivy bridge or buldozer. Then they just cant beat you

I don't know what ivy bridge and bulldozer are, but they sound cool so it should work to maintain my coolness factor.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'd just get another 5870 which is def. stronger than a 6970!

·
Registered
18 Posts
na man dont get the 6970 instead get the 6950 and flash the bios to a 6970 i just succsefully did it with mine ,no trouble at all and i got the card yesterday , no **** man i have never been happier with the 6950 plays any game at highest settings even before i flashed the card

·
Chief of Snark
1,333 Posts
Being cooler than all your friends isn't a hardware thing --well, not computer hardware at least.
wink.gif

However, as someone who has one of the monitors you have, and just did the upgrade myself, I'd say it depends. You'll get some benefit from the 2GB of video RAM when using multiple monitors. You'll get much better tessellation performance, though whether that's important depends on the games you're playing. You'll get to turn up antialiasing probably an additional notch from what you have it on right now for games. There may also be a slight increase in stability, but I think that's subjective.

There are some games where performance increases may be negligible for now, though I'm thinking ATI may unlock further performance with new drivers, since the 69xx series uses ATI's new VLIW4 instruction set, and drivers may not be fully optimized for it yet.

I did it partly because right now was when I'd get the most money for my 5870. I don't think I can completely justify it, but it is a nice card.

If you want to be the coolest, though, upgrade your GF --or be the only one of your buddies to have one.
devil-smiley-019.gif

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,773 Posts

·
Programmer
28,683 Posts
Just enjoy the 5870. Ive only seen about a 5fps increase by moving to 6970. However, in tesselation, the 6970 beats 5850 CF.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Are you having trouble playing your games? If not then don't trade, if you are then trade. Unless you just want the cool factor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts