Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody has offered me a trade on my GTX580. Two Twin Frozr GTX470's.

Now financially, this seems silly. GTX580's are still $400 or more, and 470's are around $150-175 each. But the dual 470's would perform a lot better.

I have no cash, no I'm not buying another 580 anytime soon.

What do?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,373 Posts
Personally, I don't think the switch to SLI 470s is worth it. you're throwing some money away and dual-GPU set ups can always be hit or miss. In games like GTA4, you'll see a performance drop, possibly even larger than with just one 470.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
keep the 580
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,801 Posts
Keep the 580 its a much better card.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,418 Posts
keep the 580
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,496 Posts
I would keep the 580. Having sli 470's is nice (see sig rig
) but selling them currently is a pain, because they are considered last generation. Even though they perform just as well as the 5XX series.

If the guy trades you plus adds in some cash I can see doing the trade.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,295 Posts
On a financial basis, if it is two GTX470 Twin Frozr + (say) $75 for your GTX580, then it is 'fair'.

On a performance basis, if you are just a little unsatisfied with your GTX580, then I say you bear with it. You do not have cash now and will not be able to buy a second GTX580 anytime soon but you will sometime in the more distant future. By that time, your dissatisfaction will have grown more but it will be done away with as you will have money then.
If you are highly unsatisfied today already, then I suppose you to do the trade but negotiate for that extra $50 or $75.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by windfire
View Post

On a financial basis, if it is two GTX470 Twin Frozr + (say) $75 for your GTX580, then it is 'fair'.

On a performance basis, if you are just a little unsatisfied with your GTX580, then I say you bear with it. You do not have cash now and will not be able to buy a second GTX580 anytime soon but you will sometime in the more distant future. By that time, your dissatisfaction will have grown more but it will be done away with as you will have money then.
If you are highly unsatisfied today already, then I suppose you to do the trade but negotiate for that extra $50 or $75.

I was honestly more than satisfied with a single GTX470 until I killed it.


This GTX580 is already overkill for all the games I play. Well, except Crysis of course. So no, I'm not unsatisfied in the least bit.

I'm just bored with my setup as it sits. I've got NOTHING to tinker with!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,829 Posts
I'd only take the SLI 470 GTX's if he chipped in 75-100$. just let me check if you will get a slight performance gain - YES, You should totally trade the 580 for the SL 470's and a bit of cash. Here, If you'd like to check it for yourself, you can see a total performance upgrade:
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....637&card2=628#

Hopefully you get those cards, + 50-75$!

EDIT: - Hit the Multi-GPU Button under the GTX 470 side - Then it will show you the specs of dual-cards.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I were to do the trade, he won't be adding any cash at all. His cards are Twin Frozr's, and mine is a marketing sample or something from EVGA with no warranty.

Was told though, that my PSU won't handle the 470 SLI by a reputable PSU guy. So looks like my choice is made....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,295 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

I was honestly more than satisfied with a single GTX470 until I killed it.


This GTX580 is already overkill for all the games I play. Well, except Crysis of course. So no, I'm not unsatisfied in the least bit.

I'm just bored with my setup as it sits. I've got NOTHING to tinker with!!!


LOL...then no need to mess with the GTX580.

Poke your fingers at other parts of the system. But I see your rig is fairly well balanced. Perhaps you can get yourself wet. Watercooling will definitely kill off a lot of time.
Short of doing a custom loop, perhaps consider using a Corsair H100 to replace your Xigmatek. This will not be just for time killing but also will bring tangible benefit (eg getting your i5 2500k to 5GHz).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by windfire
View Post

LOL...then no need to mess with the GTX580.

Poke your fingers at other parts of the system. But I see your rig is fairly well balanced. Perhaps you can get yourself wet. Watercooling will definitely kill off a lot of time.
Short of doing a custom loop, perhaps consider using a Corsair H100 to replace your Xigmatek. This will not be just for time killing but also will bring tangible benefit (eg getting your i5 2500k to 5GHz).

I'm already planning on getting wet. Saving for a full loop with the 580 in it. 240 + 120 rads, because I also plan to go smaller too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DesertRat
View Post

Personally, I don't think the switch to SLI 470s is worth it. you're throwing some money away and dual-GPU set ups can always be hit or miss. In games like GTA4, you'll see a performance drop, possibly even larger than with just one 470.

Woot, GTA 4 runs flawless on a single GTX 470 at 1080p.

I wouldn't trade it though. The 580 is more than enough for current generation games and you always have to wait for drivers for performance improvements or SLI support.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top