Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building the following system and would like to stay with watercooling if possible. My current WC setup consists of:

- Laing DDC Pump
- Watercooled i7-3970x
- HUGE 360X360mm External Radiator (Mora 2 Pro)

I want to ditch the external radiator and use a standard 120 mm radiator if possible, as my case Lian-Li PCV-2120 is rather limited with internal mounting option without drastically affecting the cosmetics. I can mount a 240mm radiator on top but that would entail removing the top cover and the entire case looks unsightly:

My new component will be:

2x XEON E5 2699V4 CPU
1x GTX 1080Ti

I calculated the total TDP should not exceed 600w and I read some german all-copper 120mm radiator can dissipate quiet a bit of heat...or am I living the pipe dream?

·
Premium Member
6,370 Posts
You want to cool 44 physical cores and a GTX 1080Ti with 1x120mm rad? I would say this is an opportunity to rethink your priorities. I feel like it would not adequately cool your system resulting in the CPUs and GPU massively downclocking themselves resulting in poor performance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys! I guess the Alphacool Monsta 120 mm rad won't cut it either
frown.gif

·
Registered
418 Posts
The thickest, most dense 120 rad you can find with a pair of Delta's running at 5000+ RPM might do the job but would sound like a jet engine under load and probably still give you at least a 20-30c delta between air and water temp. 600w in a single 120 rad is possible in some extreme applications but again you're looking at such a high temperature difference between the air and the water that you're defeating the whole purpose of water cooling at that point as it would still be hot and loud.

That said, I'm curious now. I may put 600w of heat into a loop with a single 120 rad using the peltier proof of concept setup I've been working on and report back on coolant temps....

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
That case isn't very well suited for cooling, definitely not for watercooling. Aside from a new case your external radiator is about your best option, either that or some serious case modding..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts