Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have the AMD Phenom X3 8450 (2.1GHZ) I basically use to stream video to my PS3. Should I upgrade the cpu and if so to what. Rest of system is listed in profile I believe. Thanks in advance to all who reply

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Transcoding or just streaming?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Are you having performance issues? If it ain't broke don't fix it! (Who am I kidding this is OCN, but in this case that holds true)

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
You have a Phenom I OP

And yes you should upgrade your CPU. You should get a Phenom II 720 ($105) it also wouldn't hurt to get a better video card. I suggest a 4670 if all you plan on doing is streaming video.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. Pao and Silverpotato changed the cpu, thanks
2. Am planning on using Nero Media Home 4, and am format all media to a format that compatible to with the PS3.
3. I am using wireless at this time.
4. I have upgraded the HD in the PS# to 250gb, it's just sometimes I don't have the time to do the transfers to the PS3.
5. Why upgrade the Video Cards as I don't look at movies nor games on the computer?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Agrred with ^, streaming video does not even require a GPU period, you could do it without any graphics at all provided there wouldn't need to be any user interaction with the system

·
Registered
274 Posts
If it is lagging or such, it is more than likely because of the wireless. How far apart are the computer and the ps3? What kind of router are you using? G or N
Is it possible to run cat5 to it. I would try that first and see if it is better. I use to stream to my 360 with my old computer x64 2.0 and it streamed fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes there is some stuttering of the video on occasion.
The router is set for B,G, and N I get signal strength reading of 73. I have the setup to sent through the house wiring, maybe I'll try that?
how speed would I gain in going from 2.1 to 2.8 (AMD 740)as that is the processor that was mentioned that I should change to?
Thanks again for your time and input.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Streaming does not require much CPU power (a 1GHz Atom could handle it). However, transcoding will need CPU power...

So what are you doing?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts