Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of how loud my GTX 460 is while doing anything, even watching movies. It's by far the noisiest thing in my case even when just watching a movie and the fan is spinning at the minimum 40%.

Should I upgrade it to something else? Even considering buying a new (better) GTX 460. I'm really leaning towards AMD so I can crossfire down the line. Performance wise my GTX 460 has been suitable for what I do, but at some times the performance could be better.

Thought??????

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I had a 5850, my friend had a 4850, and TTLC Reviews on youtube tested the 6950/70 and they all sounded like vacuum cleaners on fan 50%+. If you really want a good solid upgrade grab a 6870 and then eventually another.
bfbc2_1680_1050.gif

Your total investment will be slightly higher in cost than a 6970, but in BFBC2 you get somewhere around 25-40 FPS more.
bfbc2_1680_1050.gif

2 of these!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertCover;11925395
Inb4 AMD Driver Bash

Well, it really depends, a 6850 is really quiet and should out perform your 460.
How loud is your 460? That unbareable?

Price range?
6850 is head to head with GTX 460, will not out preform. They trade blows form what I have seen.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think there may be something wrong with your card. I have dual 465s and they are not that loud at all and I am pretty sensitive the noise.

I will say my 5850s were quieter though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Palit Sonic (not the platinum) and yes it's loud. At the 40% it's spinning at nearly 2000 rpm and it's annoying when watching movies or just browsing the web. During gaming I could care less how loud it gets.

I guess my budget would be $300, but I'd rather spend half of that if I'd happy happy with a 6850 with the possibility to add another one down the line.

edit: I don't think it's my particular card as I had another one that was RMA'd. I think the Palit's are just loud. I've really been eying one of those MSI GTX 460 with the nice coolers on them. Open Box is around $150 on the egg.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rquinn19;11925492
I have the Palit Sonic (not the platinum) and yes it's loud. At the 40% it's spinning at nearly 2000 rpm and it's annoying when watching movies or just browsing the web. During gaming I could care less how loud it gets.

I guess my budget would be $300, but I'd rather spend half of that if I'd happy happy with a 6850 with the possibility to add another one down the line.
I would say pick up a 6870 then, that way you have that little extra ommpf for games.

The 6850 is a great card, but with a 6870 you'd be able to turn up the eye candy a bit more. Either way, the cards should be quiet.

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
To be honest with you, forking out for a new 460 just 'cos of the cooling solution, is a huge waste.
The Palit/Gainward's are also renowned for fan blades snapping off, why don't you just buy a third party cooler?

There's a thread dedicated to coolers for the 460's, in the nVidia section.

I can't check benchmark noise tests right now, but you'll no doubt want at least a 6850/5850 to keep with your 460's performance before you go with CF.

By the way, you can always pick up a second 460 (though one with better cooling like the MSI Cyclone or Asus) and SLI them with modded Drivers.

EDIT: Posting on the bog, wasn't any replies when I started, sorry.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertCover;11925472
Look ^^ at the BC2 benches. It beats a 465.
The 460 beats a 465. GF104 is more gaming-oriented and efficient than GF100. Also, you can overclock a 460 like mad and get it to GTX 470 levels (like I've done with mine).

Of course my case sounds like a plane turbine so I'm not the authority on loudness.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertCover;11925655
Or use a fan profile to keep it at like 20% while your watching movies.

You said you don't care about the noise while playing games, so just set the fan speed lower while your watching movies then...
Thanks for all the suggestions. Leaning towards a 6950 with hopes of unlocking. Should be able to hold me over for a couple months and then add another.

Gotta find something new and shiny to put in my case before I'm standing in line at Microcenter Sunday morning!

edit: Covert the lowest I can get my fan to go is 40%.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rquinn19;11925733
Thanks for all the suggestions. Leaning towards a 6950 with hopes of unlocking. Should be able to hold me over for a couple months and then add another.
Good luck on the Unlock, but from what I've read it only nets a 1-2 FPS gain on synthetic and gaming benchmarks. Not worth the risk of a bricked card IMO (even if it has dual BIOS).

Good luck with the unlock if you get it though!
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertCover;11925767
Hmm, that's odd...

Using MSI AB?
Yeah. No matter what adjustments I make to that graph the lowest it actually goes is 40%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertCover;11925782
Good luck on the Unlock, but from what I've read it only nets a 1-2 FPS gain on synthetic and gaming benchmarks. Not worth the risk of a bricked card IMO (even if it has dual BIOS).

Good luck with the unlock if you get it though!
biggrin.gif
Time to reconsider. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
758 Posts
^ I was skeptical of his fan not being able to go below 40%, so I tried on afterburner myself, even if i set it to below 40 on AB on their graph user fan settings. lowest it'll go is 40%, weird. I did make sure temp and fan speed is within current temperature.

·
Registered
758 Posts
how hot is your gpu when you are watching videos?

when my fan settles to 40% I can barely hear it, mind you I have 2 460 in sli.
But then They are hawk with better cooling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts