Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Corsair TX750 non-modular. It's the original version that many people don't like but I've had it for eight years without a single hiccup. I work from home so my PC is on at least 12 hours a day and I do overclock, but my system is rarely in full load. The only thing I don't like about the TX750 is that it's non modular.

For this reason I would like to upgrade (and for fear it might die and take my whole system with it). I know many people recommend the EVGA Supernovas, but they are not cheaper than Corsair RMi/x in my country and harder to find at reputable etailers. So I'm torn between the RM650i and the RM650x. The only differences I could find on the corsair website are these:

- RMi has Link connectivity and fluid dynamic bearing fan.
- RMx has no Link and a rifle fan.

1) Does anybody here use a Link-enabled PSU and do you find it useful/reliable or just a gimmick ?
2) Is it worth buying the RMi for the fluid dynamic bearing fan ? Is the rifle fan louder or less durable ?
3) Am I right in thinking 650W is enough for a single GPU system, even with OC ? Planning to switch to the i7 7700K next year.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
In my experience the Corsair Link interface is definitely more of a gimmick, I don't have it plugged into the motherboard most of the time because I can use the USB2 header for more useful things. It was, however, pretty convenient to be able to plug it in when I was debugging an issue, getting metrics on the power supply under load and ruling out power delivery as the culprit.

650W should be more than enough to power your system.

Just my two cents, good luck
thumb.gif

EDIT: Removed misinformation. Sorry!

·
Senior OCN Member
39,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyaena View Post

In my experience the Corsair Link interface is definitely more of a gimmick, I don't have it plugged into the motherboard most of the time because I can use the USB2 header for more useful things. It was, however, pretty convenient to be able to plug it in when I was debugging an issue, getting metrics on the power supply under load and ruling out power delivery as the culprit.

650W should be more than enough to power your system, but if you're thinking about getting a Corsair RM power supply, you might want to read the following:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1455892/why-you-might-not-want-to-buy-a-corsair-rm-psu

Just my two cents, good luck
thumb.gif
The Corsair RMi and RMx has nothing to do with the old Corsair RM.
Corsair RMi and RMx series explained

The Corsair RMi and RMx are as good as the Super Flower Leadex platform and its EVGA rebrands.
And yes Corsair Link is a gimmick so get an RMx.

• Rep+
Reactions: Leyaena

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

The Corsair RMi and RMx has nothing to do with the old Corsair RM.
Corsair RMi and RMx series explained

The Corsair RMi and RMx are as good as the Super Flower Leadex platform and its EVGA rebrands.
And yes Corsair Link is a gimmick so get an RMx.
Woops sorry, I did NOT know that.
Thanks for pointing it out, I must've completely missed that memo
redface.gif

Keep up the great work, by the way
thumb.gif

·
Senior OCN Member
39,815 Posts
The RMi and RMx are upgraded versions of the HXi just with lower efficiency to make them cheaper and so they dont compete with the HXi.
Ripple suppression and voltage regulation are on par with the Leadex platform if not a tiny bit better

·
Senior OCN Member
39,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by linbetwin View Post

What about the fluid dynamic bearing vs rifle fans ?
To be honest i would not worry about that.

Quote from jonnyguru

We start off with a rifle bearing fan right here. Similar to FDB bearings in that both are modified sleeve bearings designed to last longer, yet different enough to instill mass confusion amongst the general public.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts