Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this my first post here at overclock.net.

I've got a question. But first off, i just ordered an LG 22inch screen (1680x1050)
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=30424&...%20Electronics
It was on sale for $189.99 Canadian with 5 dollars shipping, so i couldn't put it down

Anyways on with my question I've got a 8800GT and I'm just wondering if its a worthy upgrade to a GTX 260, now that ive got a 22inch monitor. Or should just wait for the 300 gen of cards?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
the 300 gen of cards will take some time to be on the market i think you should buy a GTX 260......because the 300 gen that will be released will have some problems so it will take some time till they gonna get a very good chipset and video card of the version 300

·
I TeK things...
17,448 Posts
I did it and love it. I can play my games maxed out no matter what. (1680x1050)

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I ran an 8800gt on my 22" LG Monitor, and it ran just about everything really well at that res with the exception of some of the newer stuff. I mean if youve got the money, the gtx 260 has come down it price it seems, so I would say its worth while. Otherwise you would be ok to stick with it for a while.

I decided this past christmas, instead of a full rebuild, I went with a GPU and Hard Drive upgrade, and kept the rest of the rig the same.

What is the rest of your system? fill in the user specs under the User CP tab at the top of the page.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick replies

are there any benchmarks out there comparing the cards?

Quote:
I did it and love it. I can play my games maxed out no matter what. (1680x1050)
Including crysis?

Quote:
Depending on what game you play, this is a nice upgrade. GTX260 is 182w GPU make sure you psu is able to handle. What's your cpu?
Well, I'm building a new machine since this one is getting really old. I'm picking up an intel i7 920, with 6gigs of DDR3 RAM, on a ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard. My current powersuply is 750W.

Some of the games i play are:
left 4 dead
crysis
cod4
Empire total war
to name a few

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Sounds like you will be able to handle it, the GTX 260 Should run Crysis that high with no issues, I havent run it on my GTX 260 though.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, thanks for the replies guys

I'm probably going to pick up a GTX 260 and just use this machine as a backup gaming rig.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
Don't do it. Just wait for the GT300 40nm dual gpu to come out, then prices of series 10 cards will drp and you can pick up a 260 for 200 bones or less.,,

Wait it out, you got a nice rig,, whats difference between 60fps and 67fps the new card would give lol,, gl,

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Go for it, I did that upgrade from a 8600GTS and I'm playin all Valve games at 1920X1200 maxed out with little overclock to SSC specs.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
patience is a virtue

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have a 8800GT as well, but I'm holding to it as long as I can.

I can even play GTA 4 with pretty good configs...
( http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2712/gtabench.png )

Why not wait till GTX285s are cheaper? The performance leap will be bigger if you do this.

Because, as we all know (and few do):

Quote:

Originally Posted by adventfred View Post
patience is a virtue

1 - 15 of 15 Posts