149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this are my pc specs:
Intel i5 3570 3,4 ghz
8gb(2x4gb) ram corsair vengeance cl9 1600 mhz
gigabyte gtx 650 ti 2gb oc
corsair tx650m psy
1tb seagate 7200rpm hdd

I was wondering if I could actually upgrade to windows 10 with my specs, since I've read in some threads that windows 10 doesn't work quite well on 3rd generation intel cpus, or should I stick with w8.1??

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
I've never heard that about 3rd gen i5's, if you have a source for that I'd like to see it.

Basically unless you have a specific reason for not upgrading, I would upgrade.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

I've never heard that about 3rd gen i5's, if you have a source for that I'd like to see it.

Basically unless you have a specific reason for not upgrading, I would upgrade.
It was a thread in tom's hardware where a guy stated that windows 10 was developed for skylake cpus and latest cpus from amd, and that i works perfectly on those cpu till 4th gen, not sure if true.

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
That is BS. I have used Win10 on 3770k.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himo5 View Post

Two weeks in to changing the general work PC to W10 and even after disabling all the tiles and as many background services as I could it's gone over my usage limit and added £8 a month to my internet charges.
I believe that's the telemetry stuff and maybe updates that folks around here have been talking a lot about. I have not used Windows 10 extensively myself but if I'm not mistaken you can use the Metered Connection feature to get around this issues with you connection: http://lifehacker.com/enable-metered-connection-to-delay-windows-10-updates-1723316525

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
It will work perfectly fine, I'm running it on 3rd gen Core i3 among other things, no issues. What was probably meant in that article you're referencing, is that Skylake isn't properly supported by OSes older than Win10, but Win10 supports everything, you can run it on a Pentium 3 if you want.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grss1982 View Post

I believe that's the telemetry stuff and maybe updates that folks around here have been talking a lot about. I have not used Windows 10 extensively myself but if I'm not mistaken you can use the Metered Connection feature to get around this issues with you connection: http://lifehacker.com/enable-metered-connection-to-delay-windows-10-updates-1723316525
Metered Connection isn't available for ethernet connections and now I'm 10 days into the month with 2/3rds of of my allowance used up having downloaded nothing myself at all. This is daylight robbery!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts