Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running a 3930k @4.7 pretty much since their launch. I've had many different grfx combos in the system, mainly sli setups. But currently have a single 1080ti in the build.
I'm also running 16gb of quad channel DDR3.

What I'm wondering is should I run this setup for another year with 1 more GPU upgrade when nVidia next launch. Or should I upgrade the CPU to a 6 core i7 with dual channel DDR4 and stick with my 1080ti for the time being.
worth noting that in a year the funds to upgrade will still be available.

I'm really just after thoughts on whether my cpu will go fine for gaming for another year without causing a massive bottle neck. Please share any thoughts you have on the topic.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've been running a 3930k @4.7 pretty much since their launch. I've had many different grfx combos in the system, mainly sli setups. But currently have a single 1080ti in the build.
I'm also running 16gb of quad channel DDR3.

What I'm wondering is should I run this setup for another year with 1 more GPU upgrade when nVidia next launch. Or should I upgrade the CPU to a 6 core i7 with dual channel DDR4 and stick with my 1080ti for the time being.
worth noting that in a year the funds to upgrade will still be available.

I'm really just after thoughts on whether my cpu will go fine for gaming for another year without causing a massive bottle neck. Please share any thoughts you have on the topic.

Earlier this year I moved from a 3960x to an 8700k. Even with 1080Ti SLI I saw only marginal gains, and even then mostly only in benchmarks. The 3960x actually performed better in GPU benchmarks thanks to PCIe lanes.

Here are the Timespy results of the 2 systems.

3960x

So suffice to say, if you're purely chasing performance you won't see any gains.

·
waifu for lifu
11,326 Posts
Your rig is fine, but I do sense your curiosity for a possible upgrade. The 3930k is a champ, but with any older chip its showing a little rust (not much considering the oc). You'll see better power efficiency, less cpu overhead, and a slight bump in frames if you decide to update to a more modern chip. Intel is more than likely releasing an 8 core/16 thread chip btw. i9-9900K.

·
Senior Overclocker
4,998 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to upgrade from that setup. It is still a beast. Quad channel memory with 12threads at 4.7Ghz are plenty fast and will be plenty fast for anything you throw at it in the foreseeable future.
If you have the upgrade itch and just can't hold it back, the only worthy upgrade would be the upcoming 8core 16thread CPU from Intel.

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,522 Posts
If I still had my X79 build I would get the E5-1680V2 Ivy 8core as it is unlocked and they all clock very well. They have dropped in price a lot and a guy had one fs in the fs section on here. I had the 1660V2 and 4.8 all day but was the 6core.

·
Folding Fanatic
1,444 Posts
The best reason for an upgrade at this time is the platform improvements with new motherboards. M.2, usb 3.0/3.1, etc. I upgraded from sandy for that exact reason, I hate sata cables everywhere so m.2 ftw for me.

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,522 Posts
The best reason for an upgrade at this time is the platform improvements with new motherboards. M.2, usb 3.0/3.1, etc. I upgraded from sandy for that exact reason, I hate sata cables everywhere so m.2 ftw for me.
I can see your point. However with the current Ram prices and overpriced intel cpus if it was me imo I would just get a better chip. You have usb 3.0 and pcie3.0 so even using an add in card for M.2 wouldn't cost as much as the overpriced Ram you need on a new build. Now the OP might feel different and if he really wants to upgrade then a 2700x Ryzen build will be a nice upgrade from what he has. I just built one and can tell you first hand going from the X79 [email protected] to the Ryzen at 4.3 was a nice jump.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
On the mainstream side, Intel has one (1) overpriced CPU. On the HEDT side, it's a bit more debatable because the high core count i9's get up there in price pretty quick, but that's a low-volume segment of the market. RAM prices are the biggest deterrent to building a new system or upgrading to a newer platform.

If this system is used primarily for gaming, I honestly wouldn't consider Ryzen. Coffee Lake-S is the superior processor when it comes to gaming. If the system will be used for other, more CPU-intensive tasks like video encoding, then Ryzen is definitely worth considering and probably the better buy. Either way, we're way too close to the release of Intel's mainstream 8-core flagship processor to seriously consider any upgrades like this at the moment. As good as an R7 2700X might be, eight cores of Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake will be better. The only thing I'm worried about it is price. If the flagship is more than you're willing to spend, Zen 2 should be a significant step forward for AMD and should be available around March or April next year.

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,522 Posts
On the mainstream side, Intel has one (1) overpriced CPU. On the HEDT side, it's a bit more debatable because the high core count i9's get up there in price pretty quick, but that's a low-volume segment of the market. RAM prices are the biggest deterrent to building a new system or upgrading to a newer platform.

If this system is used primarily for gaming, I honestly wouldn't consider Ryzen. Coffee Lake-S is the superior processor when it comes to gaming. If the system will be used for other, more CPU-intensive tasks like video encoding, then Ryzen is definitely worth considering and probably the better buy. Either way, we're way too close to the release of Intel's mainstream 8-core flagship processor to seriously consider any upgrades like this at the moment. As good as an R7 2700X might be, eight cores of Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake will be better. The only thing I'm worried about it is price. If the flagship is more than you're willing to spend, Zen 2 should be a significant step forward for AMD and should be available around March or April next year.
That is why I would hold on with the X79 and get the E5-1680v2 8core and hold out on both AMD and Intel for now.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
If I'm willing to spend that much on a CPU, I'm probably willing to spend the extra money for a motherboard an RAM. Those two extra cores and threads are only going to matter if you're currently limited by cores/threads. When it comes to the upcoming mainstream 8-core processor, you have to change the motherboard anyway so it's much easier to justify. Depending on the price, of course.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts