Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently in another computer thats not my main pc, I have some cheap Kingston 512x2 PC3200..but it's only running at 166mhz...I'm thinking about buying a new set of OCZ 512x2..so it actually runs at 200/+Mhz...Would I actually be able to notice a difference? Or should I upgrade to 2GB?

·
Registered
901 Posts
If you can aford then 2 gig thats what I would do. There are some great 2 gig sets out there now that have good timings. Not like the one ones. Someone just posted a link about that

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyS

Currently in another computer thats not my main pc, I have some cheap Kingston 512x2 PC3200..but it's only running at 166mhz...I'm thinking about buying a new set of OCZ 512x2..so it actually runs at 200/+Mhz...Would I actually be able to notice a difference? Or should I upgrade to 2GB?

You may have to increase the vdimm and set the RAM's timings you have manually!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

You may have to increase the vdimm and set the RAM's timings you have manually!

Any info on how to do this?

·
Registered
355 Posts
What ram timings are you running at now? You can find out quickly just by going to the memory tab of cpu-z. Tell/show us those, and we'll recommend what timings to raise them to in your bios. But before you change the timings, have you already tried to manually change the divider (ram speed) in your bios?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by erauman

What ram timings are you running at now? You can find out quickly just by going to the memory tab of cpu-z. Tell/show us those, and we'll recommend what timings to raise them to in your bios. But before you change the timings, have you already tried to manually change the divider (ram speed) in your bios?

Frequency: 167.5MHz
FSB: DRAM: CPU/12
CAS# Latency: 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge: 3 clocks
Cycle Time (Tras): 7 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (Trc): 10 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer: 16 clocks

I haven't changed anything. Just put them in there, and havent messed with.
It's been there for like 2 years. lol I'm just now trying to upgrade it a bit for friends coming over lanning, and such. It's running on an MSI motherboard, 754 socket.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyS

Frequency: 167.5MHz
FSB: DRAM: CPU/12
CAS# Latency: 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge: 3 clocks
Cycle Time (Tras): 7 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (Trc): 10 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer: 16 clocks

I haven't changed anything. Just put them in there, and havent messed with.
It's been there for like 2 years. lol I'm just now trying to upgrade it a bit for friends coming over lanning, and such. It's running on an MSI motherboard, 754 socket.

At those timings, (assuming they aren't much faster than the rated timings), you ram should be able to run that at 200mhz, but your motherboard is automatically slapping on a divider (most likely because it think it's necessary for stability). Just go into your bios and change the divider as previously suggested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts