Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should i use my protection plan to get a better 2500k? My intel 2500k sucks! 1.41 Vcore for 4.6 ghz
frown.gif
should i use my intel OCing insurance to get a new chip? Could it be worse than this this? is it worth the gamble or not? but then id have to exchange this 2500k for the other 2500k so it could be worse potentially.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm im wondering what should i do? take the gamble or keep this 2500k.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah it is a gamble, luck of the draw but worth it. My very first 2500K was a terrible chip, took around 1.44v I believe just to do 4.5GHz, I ended up selling it and the next one I got was alot better. I'd do it though if I were you although 4.6 is good the voltage required is not.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Do you do anything that requires that speed? That voltage should be fine for 24/7 usage at 4.6. You could clock it down to even 4.4 to get it below 1.4v. I personally don't think it would be worth all the trouble to potentially get to 4.6 at maybe 1.35 if all you are going to do is game and internet with it anyways.

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
No, if you don't like your CPU's OC capabilities, then sell it, and try the silicon lottery again. Don't abuse the protection plan simply because you don't like your CPU.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah with LLC iv seen up to 1.42 vcore is that still in the safe area for 24/7 use?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Have you tried setting voltages manually? Intel Turbo boost gets too generous with the voltages if set manually. When I had mine at auto voltages went up to 1.45v for a stupid 4.4GHz overclock. After a while when I had some free time I started actually searching the real needed vCore and this is what I ended up with. 24/7 stable overclock at 4.7GHz. Could probably go lower voltages but still haven't gotten to continue testing.

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pent View Post

Yeah with LLC iv seen up to 1.42 vcore is that still in the safe area for 24/7 use?
I run my SB @ 1.45vcore, which the most I am comfortable with running 24/7 folding. Some people fold on their 24/7 up to 1.5v though. I would say 1.42 is "safe", but others might say 1.4, or even 1.35 is "safe". It's all what your comfortable doing with your hardware. I would say it's fine as long as your temps are good.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah during normal load my temps only hit about 58 C in Bf3 and what not and this is summer temps. 87F in my room. Max temp is around 85C in intel burn test in summer. prime only hits around 75C. and 82 C in winter and thats intel burn test. Normal i hit maybe 50-58C.

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pent View Post

Yeah during normal load my temps only hit about 58 C in Bf3 and what not and this is summer temps. 87F in my room. Max temp is around 85C in intel burn test in summer. prime only hits around 75C. and 82 C in winter and thats intel burn test. Normal i hit maybe 50-58C.
Yeah, I'd say you're fine then.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright thanks. Passed Prime 95 18 hours so its good to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts