Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a gigantic LGA 775 heatsink but it does not work with 478 but i did use some thermal paste on it and held it in place and the CPU idled at 19C compared to stock 56C idle will using thermal adhesive work fine?

i don't care if i will ever be able to reuse the heatsink or cpu again im buying a 3.4Ghz and aftermarket cooler in a week or 2 anyway.

will it even work?

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRush;14117132
How big are we talking here? Rip the cpu out of the socket while the case is vertical big?

If that's the case I wouldn't do it. Only if the board is horizontal.
T9303.jpg

it will be laying on its side

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksknight;14117170
Thermal adhesive isn't that sticky really. its just sticky enough to hold itself in place, but comes off easily. It wont really help support the weight, and it wont rip the cpu out of the socket.
okay thats bull i put some on my PS2 and i tried to take it off and i ended tearing the chip off the PCB and i had to grind the chip off to use the heatsink again (not the one i will be using on this cpu)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn;14117181
If the mobo will be laid flat (kinda like a tech station?) then I don't see much of a problem except for possible pressure issues.
its half the weight of the stock heatsink lol

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66;14117192
okay thats bull i put some on my PS2 and i tried to take it off and i ended tearing the chip off the PCB and i had to grind the chip off to use the heatsink again (not the one i will be using on this cpu)

its half the weight of the stock heatsink lol
Then you are talking about thermal epoxy. I was just trying to help you.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Music Producer
4,860 Posts
^ That. I was thinking thermal pad as well. lol

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
Honestly if you been using it this long. Will 2 more weeks kill you to do it properly then? Unless your pc is just shutting down from heat. I would just let it ride for a few more weeks.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it worked cpu temps went from 70C idle to 23C idle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.