Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read up on some naked optys and was wondering if i could do that with my Athlon X2. Is it worth it? Is it a noticeable drop in temp?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Probably not a good idea cause it could damage your chip.
Plus do you really need to bring temps any lower when you have a water cooling system in?

·
Premium Member
9,807 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Z3R0Element
View Post

I just read up on some naked optys and was wondering if i could do that with my Athlon X2. Is it worth it? Is it a noticeable drop in temp?

Well that depends. What are your temps like now? If you're loading ~60*C, then there's no point. IF at your present clock speed you're getting way above that then sure do it.

BUT there are inherent risks to de-lidding a CPU. Namely, you could totally kill the chip. If you're willing to take the risk and are successful then it totally is worth it. I haven't delidded my opty for 2 reasons, 1 it's still under warranty, 2 my load temps aren't high enough to warrant removing it.

I bought a 3500+ for the sole reason of delidding it. I took my time and was very careful. And the results were awesome to say the least. Dropped load temps considerably, @ stock it doesn't get above 45*C. @ 1.65vcore itll load in the neighborhood of 60*C. I've actually pumped 1.88v through it and it was able to boot because the temps stayed low enough.

So heres teh scoop, if youre willing to try it and dont care if you totally F your chip up go for it. If you cant afford to lose it, dont touch it.

1 more thing, if you do delid it, make sure that the heatsink is in proper contact with the chip. If its not, that thing will get REALLY hot and fast, and could potentially damage it making a high OC impossible.

Good luck in your endeavours.

PS: you should stop by the 939 club (link in sig)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts