Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of conflicting post about HT. So this morning I played BF3 for a half hour with HT on then HT off. This was done with the gpu at stock an the cpu at 4.8.
I also ran Vantage with and without. With my cpu score was 30k without cpu score was 25k There was about a 4,500 difference on the score.
So I hope This answers a couple of questions.

With HT off Cpu usage was 60-70%
Photobucket
With HT on Cpu usage was 40-50%
Photobucket
Vantage HT off
Photobucket
Vantage HT on
Photobucket
3Dmark 06 HT off
Photobucket
3Dmark 06 HT on
Photobucket
3Dmark 11 HT off
Photobucket
3Dmark 11 HT on
Photobucket

In conclusion if your thinking about buying a cpu with HT for gaming save your money.

·
Banned
3,105 Posts
I see this "issue" as highly irrelevant and a waste of time. If you don't notice a difference in FPS, I see no reason to turn it either on or off. Leave it at the default and enjoy your game.

EDIT: Just realized I sounded a bit condescending, sorry, that wasn't my intention. It's just that if you don't see any difference, why worry?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipwnnubletz View Post

I see this "issue" as highly irrelevant and a waste of time. If you don't notice a difference in FPS, I see no reason to turn it either on or off. Leave it at the default and enjoy your game.
EDIT: Just realized I sounded a bit condescending, sorry, that wasn't my intention. It's just that if you don't see any difference, why worry?
To you maybe but I see a lot of post asking about this very question. It usually is someone asking should I buy a 2500k or go with the 2600k for gaming.
So I'm hoping this helps someone.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Most games still don't use more than 2 cores so it depends on the amount of threads a game can use, not the simple fact of it being on or off.

A more relevant question would be : why buy a HT enabled CPU if you're gonna disable it ?

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
it is confusing because of this.some support it some dont.and some hardware and software support it some dont.it is like comparing arcsoft and xsplit on a i5 2500k onboard gpu.you simply cant .why .cause opencl isnt supported on the hd 3000

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
useless thread. it tests only one game and one program, badly sized pictures..not enough data. try again. in either case, the gpu usage stays at 100% and thats what really matters because all games nowadays are coded towards GPU usage

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
BF3 is a highly optimized game for multiple cores, obviously it's going to benefit from more threads. (HT on)

If you'd test more games you'd find that it makes no difference in most games, because they simply don't use that many threads.

So to summarize :

- Enable it if you have it, otherwise it's a wasted feature.

- It won't make a difference unless the game uses the extra threads.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsparky32 View Post

useless thread. it tests only one game and one program, badly sized pictures..not enough data. try again. in either case, the gpu usage stays at 100% and thats what really matters because all games nowadays are coded towards GPU usage
Glad you think so.
But how many times a day do you see a thread post about someone looking to upgrade and want to know about HT playing BF3. This thread was not meant for you.

·
Programmer
2,869 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I see a lot of people springing for more expensive i7s while on a budget, when the i5 would do just fine.

That's why I just bought an i5 3570k, HT really only matters in heavily threaded applications.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
If its only for gaming like 100% then you shouldnt get the HT.
but if you do other stuff or planning on it you might as well.

i do a lot of conversions and data crunching sometimes so its worth it for me.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your Welcome!
thumb.gif
I was hoping this would help people make that decision to spend the extra money or not. From the results I gathered all the cpu scores went up but the graphics scores stayed the same for the most part. Not worth spending the extra $$$ if your just gonna be gaming.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHILEE5 View Post

How about cinebench and IBT GFlops comparisons
smile.gif
This thread was more about gaming than how fast the cpu performs with Ht in cpu dependent benchmarks .
Do I think it's worth buying a 2600k on a budget for a gaming rig? I would have to say no at this point. But I have other games and stuff I want to check out and post.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipwnnubletz View Post

I think what he means is get the 3570k over the 3770k for gaming purposes only.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod View Post

This thread was more about gaming than how fast the cpu performs with Ht in cpu dependent benchmarks .
Do I think it's worth buying a 2600k on a budget for a gaming rig? I would have to say no at this point. But I have other games and stuff I want to check out and post.
doh.gif

If you think HT is such a waste, why would you get a 2600k? Go for a 2500k, if you want to go Sandy Bridge.

Also, this thread is really misleading.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did this thread because I see a lot of people with threads about building a gaming rig on a budget. And one of the biggest questions that they ask is , is it worth spending the money on a 2600k vs a 2500k for a gaming rig when the money could be used on a better graphics card or ssd.

The benchmarks I ran use both cpu and graphics. But in all of them the only thing that changes is the cpu scores not the gpu score.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod View Post

Then why did you post 3dmark numbers? Do you not realize the cpu test is testing ONLY the cpu, and the gpu test is testing ONLY the gpu??? This thread started great with the BF3 graphs, then went in entirely the wrong direction. I understand you're trying to help, but you must have a good understanding yourself in the first place.

If you want to help, post more cpu usage graphs while playing games. No more 3dmark garbage.

The data that you're looking for in cpu usage is how often it spikes above 4 cores, if any.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts