Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wasteland Plunderer
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I built my PC at the beginning on 2013 which is over 5 years now and I've never redone my thermal paste on my PC. I used the NT-H1 that came with my cooler. I want to state that I have no issues with temps or my CPU but I was wondering if it is recommended to remove the old paste, clean all components and reapply new thermal compound after so long? I was kind of wonder if the paste broke down eventually and was harder to remove after so long. Thanks for all the advice!!

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,793 Posts
No, but if makes you feel better.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Hey guys,

I built my PC at the beginning on 2013 which is over 5 years now and I've never redone my thermal paste on my PC. I used the NT-H1 that came with my cooler. I want to state that I have no issues with temps or my CPU but I was wondering if it is recommended to remove the old paste, clean all components and reapply new thermal compound after so long? I was kind of wonder if the paste broke down eventually and was harder to remove after so long. Thanks for all the advice!!
You don't need to replace it if it hasn't degraded to the point where its performing worse.

Some pastes can last for a really long time, other's don't last that long. Depends on the application too.

So if it still performs fine, just leave it as is. But reapply it if you have to take the cooler off ofc.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Personally, I do a yearly check on everything--thermal paste on the CPU usually gets replaced regardless (gives me peace of mind), every single fan on my board and case get taken out and cleaned, as well as any add-in cards fans also get all the dust cleaned off of them. As others have mentioned, some paste lasts longer than others.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It depends on the compound I think. Some start to degrade thermal conductivity in just 2-3 years (typical white OEM cheap ones). Good ones can last a lot. For example Arctic MX-4 can last up to 8 years without degrading performance even a little.

·
Premium Member
27,130 Posts
Hey guys,

What Gilles3000 said. :thumb:

As long as temps are fine there is no reason to change TIM. I clean my computers about once a year by blowing them out with compressor. Almost nothing comes out because I have all intake filtered and clean them every other week.

Smoker environments are probably the worst home environments leaving a film on everything that dust sticks to. They need to be washed with soap and water and dried thoroughly before re-assembly. I do a final rinse with distilled water because I have it on hand from dehumidifier.

·
Overclocker in training
13,967 Posts
Hi,
NT-H1 is good paste no need to fix what is not broken
But yeah blowout the system as often as you want too you'd know when dust piles up and needs to be blown out,

·
Wasteland Plunderer
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, Thanks everyone. I was fairly certain I had nothing to worry about as long as my temps were fine but I wanted clarification for others. Also I do a system blowout with my air compressor around every 3-4 months. I have intake filters on my front fans that blow inside the PC but I still get dust inside the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts