Overclock.net banner

Show your Linux

36069 Views 607 Replies 88 Participants Last post by  enorbet2
Since the last thread that had been running for the better part of a decade got shut down with no reason given so I figured I'd start a new one.

This was for another thread in a different forum but it's convenient. I got all Gnomey a couple weeks back after some egging on by some folks I know and it's alright but I already miss Mate and will probably be back on it in a bit I'd imagine.
561 - 580 of 608 Posts

· BOINC Cruncher
1,972 Posts
Now that's old school. That looks like Window Maker.

· Banned
76 Posts
it is, problem is finding apps that blend well with it.
the GNUstep apps are still out there, but they mess things up with wmaker. GTK and QT apps do not fallow the wmaker theme and use the default gtk or QT theme.
Sucks, it was not that way when I stop using Linux 10 or so years ago.

· BOINC Cruncher
1,972 Posts
it is, problem is finding apps that blend well with it.
the GNUstep apps are still out there, but they mess things up with wmaker. GTK and QT apps do not fallow the wmaker theme and use the default gtk or QT theme.
Sucks, it was not that way when I stop using Linux 10 or so years ago.

GTK and Qt apps have always used their own themes, its just that they used to look more like window maker. Widow maker still looks the same as it did 20 years ago.

Using one of the redmond themes will give apps a windows 9x look that will more resemble window maker.

· Banned
76 Posts
that is not what I mean, its the color schemes, it used to be that gtk apps would use color setting rom openstep, but that is not the case with gtk3. Or at lets i can't find away to make it use the color settings from the openstep themes.
I'll find away to make it work at some point.

· 10 year OCN Vet
3,445 Posts
Latest Multiib Slackware

This is my latest on Slackware MultiLib Full release 14.2 (custom kernel) which still uses the latest KDE4x rather than Plasma5 which has a few minor bugs being worked out in Current. From testing Current it seems KDE has even improved resource usage from v4x but my Conky shows a reasonable footprint considering Firefox 57 is open with 7 tabs, I think.

Attachments

· BOINC Cruncher
1,972 Posts
This is my latest on Slackware MultiLib Full release 14.2 (custom kernel) which still uses the latest KDE4x rather than Plasma5 which has a few minor bugs being worked out in Current. From testing Current it seems KDE has even improved resource usage from v4x but my Conky shows a reasonable footprint considering Firefox 57 is open with 7 tabs, I think.

Wow, your using aterm, I didn't think anyone still used it. I used that 15 years ago because it had transparency support, but then I moved on to urxvt.

· Linux Gamer
963 Posts
Nice. Particularly like that Conky and network connections bit.

· 10 year OCN Vet
3,445 Posts
Wow, your using aterm, I didn't think anyone still used it. I used that 15 years ago because it had transparency support, but then I moved on to urxvt.
I normally use Konsole or Eterm but also KRunner (a LOT) but I wanted to use minimal resources for something so simple as a "screenfetch" ... you know, "the right tool for the right job"... so what improvements convinced you to move on to urxt? FWIW I also love the idea of yakuake, but never seem to recall it to actually use it. Maybe if I ever move to a tiling desktop...

· 10 year OCN Vet
3,445 Posts
Nice. Particularly like that Conky and network connections bit.
Thanks. Yeah I've dedicated some resources to seeing what's going on ever since early days on IRC when I casually was walking through click commands in XChat and pinged a guy who immediately asked me, in channel, why I had pinged him. I explained and asked how he knew so quickly and he said he had an old dot matrix printer as a STDOUT for anything smacking of intrusion !!! I found out 2 years later he was 14 at the time. I bet that guy is a Monster now. :)

· Premium Member
5,120 Posts
That one is my all-purpose daily driver. It is crunching for some distributed computing projects, and it also does some beta testing of apps for a few labs. It started out as a dedicated crunching machine, but over the last few years I've just started using it for everything.

Soon it will probably get repurposed to run a variety of VMs, but the ridiculous price of DDR4 has kept my new workstation, and it's pair of e5-2683 Xeons, sitting in a box. Now I am pretty sure that I will be selling the board and CPUs, and moving to a Threadripper system.

· BOINC Cruncher
1,972 Posts
I recently switched from xterm, after using it for the better part of 10 years, to termite. Although, I do still use xterm for ssh sessions. Not much has changed on my desktop, but it's been a bit since I posted it. :D

I tried Termite but when I ssh into my other boxes it doesn't show the terminal colors I have set up.

I normally use Konsole or Eterm but also KRunner (a LOT) but I wanted to use minimal resources for something so simple as a "screenfetch" ... you know, "the right tool for the right job"... so what improvements convinced you to move on to urxt? FWIW I also love the idea of yakuake, but never seem to recall it to actually use it. Maybe if I ever move to a tiling desktop...

I moved to urxvt for more colors and unicode support...and cause there was a thread on the Gentoo forums way back when with people posting their configs and some people did some cool things. Both aterm and urxvt are based from rxvt, but I don't think aterm has been updated in 10 years.

· Premium Member
5,120 Posts
I tried Termite but when I ssh into my other boxes it doesn't show the terminal colors I have set up.I moved to urxvt for more colors and unicode support...and cause there was a thread on the Gentoo forums way back when with people posting their configs and some people did some cool things. Both aterm and urxvt are based from rxvt, but I don't think aterm has been updated in 10 years.

Better Unicode support was the reason that I moved to Termite. I still need to rework my ssh workflow. Right now I have "sshwin" as an alias to launch xterm with differnt colors, start ssh-agent, and then open tmux. The different background color has saved me more than once from entering a command into the wrong terminal. ;) I'll have to see how Termite handles it, since I am currently still using xterm for all of my ssh sessions.

· BOINC Cruncher
1,972 Posts
Better Unicode support was the reason that I moved to Termite. I still need to rework my ssh workflow. Right now I have "sshwin" as an alias to launch xterm with differnt colors, start ssh-agent, and then open tmux. The different background color has saved me more than once from entering a command into the wrong terminal. ;) I'll have to see how Termite handles it, since I am currently still using xterm for all of my ssh sessions.

Maybe you'll have better luck than me. I don't know if I had something setup wrong, or if it's just a bug. When using ssh in urxvt, pretty terminal colors, in Termite, just plain black background and white letters....ugh.

· What should be here ?
20,056 Posts
Getting back to learning linux, but this time with Manjaro. Have just installed and set up my wallpaper with Variety. Will continue to mess with the system, but this is for now. Hoping my kb&m don't bail out on me like it did with Mint.

Attachments

561 - 580 of 608 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.