Overclock.net banner

Showdown: Opteron 146 vs. 3500+

1872 Views 22 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  beserkjay
Ahh, the time has come for the ultimate showdown:

The 3500+ Winchester which is packing 2.2GHz with 512kb of cache with sse and sse2 instructions

VS!

The Opteron 146 which is packing 2.0GHz of speed with 1mb of cache with sse sse2 sse3 instruction sets.

All tests will be done at stock speeds, running pi 1m and 2m(maby 32 if I have time lol), aquamark, 3Dmark05, and Sandra mem. benchmarks.

This will prove really how much of a difference 512 to 1meg of cache reallys makes of A64's.

It will also prove how much clock speed cache makes up.

The SEE3 instruction set will also prove to interesting.

I will be running the tests on 2gb(2x1024 stick) running at pc3200 speeds, dual channel, 1T, with 2-3-2-5 timings.

The winchester tests will be run first, so here goes!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
6,366 Posts
So far so good, but I would also make a third pass of all tests with the opty at 2.2ghz, if you can have it at that without raising the fsb too much nor ram speeds so it would be a fair comparison...then u see the difference in cache

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttmud

...how about venice? btw everyone knows that the opty is just gonna kick the crap outta the pathetic 3500+

Not true, the Venice and Wincester have the same cache and speeds, the venices just OC higher and run cooler

· Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

...how about venice? btw everyone knows that the opty is just gonna kick the crap outta the pathetic 3500+

I would not be so quick to jump to that conclusion...

btw people, I will have everything EXACTLY the same during the Opteron test, I am giving an extra effort to make sure of it.

· Banned
9,106 Posts
Quote:

Do you even know what he's doing?.. He owns the 3500 and the Opteron. And the 3500 has 200 mhz on the Opteron, so i'd like see some actual results before saying something kicks the crap out of another thing..

· Premium Member
51,319 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Mumbles

BTW, I'll just upload some new rig pics while i'm in here lol, just as proof to my system lol, check out my cable managment!

That system is as crisp and clean as the photos

Schweet

· Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangPanda

Now clock the opty up to the same speed as the winchester and post it's scores, I really wanna see if the opteron hype can finally start becoming less frantic.

Meh, I'm too tired right now..maby tomorrow, but know I finally can put to rest which is better..

· Premium Member
8,380 Posts
gotta love those twist ties, eh Mr. Mumbles? I was lucky to find some neon UV green wire ties in my garage last week.

I bet if you clock it up to 2.2Ghz it'll smoke that "pathetic" A64. Seriously, though, the 1mb L2 has gotta be better than the same speed with a 512K L2.

looking forward to your results.

· Registered
396 Posts
I'm wondering how this is a "fair" comparison.

2.0 with 1mb cache
vs
2.2 with 512K cache

How will 512K cache make up for the 200mhz clock speed difference. Again, you are trying to prove that either having more cache helps or it does not help that much. So the sample must be equivlant in other aspects.

Maybe find a processor that's also at 2.0 and has 512kb cache and then compare. That will in my book give the straight out fact that YES doubt the chache DOES infact increase perfomance.
Or simply underclock the 3500+

i do want to thank you for your effort and time put into this. Great Job

· Premium Member
5,297 Posts
Nice Work goin on there Mr. M

YG .. exactly and far easier

The hype of the Opterons was not so much about Cache but the fact that people were getting good OC's and far easier.... the 3.0Ghz barrier is now not so much of a challenge with the Opertons around ... it is still am impressive OC of course. Hence, hearing the hype I jumped on the wagon and got lucky too.

Will look forward to the downclocked Winnie to see what happens.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.