Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how ot make windows explorer show the size of folders? It shows the size of documents and all but is there a way to have it show the size of the actual folders? Itd be real helpful right now

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
If you want to know the size then you have to right click on the folder, select properties, and read away. It will tell you the folder size on the widow the pops up

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah but im trying to compare huge folders checking to see where this file transfer failed and all i got to work off of is comparing size and its so slow doing it that way!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto1024

Yah but im trying to compare huge folders checking to see where this file transfer failed and all i got to work off of is comparing size and its so slow doing it that way!

sorry... MS never counted on people checking the sizes of folders that are huge. One trick I learned was that if the files contained within the folder you are looking at are divided into subfolders it usually reads it much faster. Also if you have indexing turned off it will take a long time.

I have a material archive that is over 6gb's, not a single file over 50k... it takes a LOOOOOOOOOONG time to get the size.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not having the computer count up the space thats hard. its not because the files are mainly big ones. The problem is i had like, 3 main folders with about 30 sub folders each and i just needed to figure out where the transfer went wrong by comparing sizes. So once i figure out which main folder is off, i go into the sub folders. But then its like, comparing 30 folders on each drive to find out where it went wrong. I do kinda like programs do with their search routine though. I took half of the 30 folders and compared size with the corrosponding half on the other drive. I could then eliminate 50% of the job everytime i did that. Doing it 30 times would take sooooo long so this helps me

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto1024

Its not having the computer count up the space thats hard. its not because the files are mainly big ones. The problem is i had like, 3 main folders with about 30 sub folders each and i just needed to figure out where the transfer went wrong by comparing sizes. So once i figure out which main folder is off, i go into the sub folders. But then its like, comparing 30 folders on each drive to find out where it went wrong. I do kinda like programs do with their search routine though. I took half of the 30 folders and compared size with the corrosponding half on the other drive. I could then eliminate 50% of the job everytime i did that. Doing it 30 times would take sooooo long so this helps me

I done this enough to know one thing above all else... NEVER transfer more than one GB at a time unless you HAVE to if on the network, If from disk drives of any kind Only grab 1/4 of the total at a time. Another thing you can do is a matter of maintenance. write down the sizes of the subfolders in notepad and include it in the main directory. This will help you havign to go back and check it the hard way every time. I have over 400gb's of Linux ISO's and If I didn;t keep a record of what files were where and how big they were I'd never get em moved around like I do.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol wow, very conservative. I transfered 120 gb just now that i was complaining about and ended up being 1 file that didnt transfer fully. This was internal disk to an external drive transfer, not a network transfer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts