Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In hopes that my new PSU would have addressed an issue where my CPU set at ~1.4v Vcore shuts down the PC when I run linx to stress the CPU at 4.4 ghz, I purchased a brand new Corsair HX850 (thank you craigslist ^^).

My issue hasn't been fixed. While I love my new PSU, I am disappointed that my machine decides to turn itself off when I try and test stability. This is also evident when I am using Prime95. I can get maybe 30 seconds of linx stability, to which afterwards the PC shuts down.

Can anyone help me out? What can possibly be defective? What's going on? It's like clockwork...I nudge lower than 1.4v, and suddenly it works, but my CPU then gets a classic D0 2 digit BSOD error noting that vcore should be raised, but of course, raising to 1.4v or so produces the shutdown. I can boot to windows and launch the programs, but its as soon as I try and ramp up that CPU to 100%, the rig turns off.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
What are the CPU's core temperatures right before the system shuts off?

·
PC Evangelist
46,953 Posts
It could be the temps or it could just be that the CPU will not handle 1.4v or is not even stable at 4.4GHz.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben h
View Post

cuz 1.4V is proly over the max of wat u should use

1.4V for this CPU isn't too high - even if it's the actual voltage (the one reported by software like CPU-Z).

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by princedwi
View Post

I get to about 77 degs C, peaking at 84 degs C. I haven't seen it go much higher than that but I never know..

Hmm.... then it might be shutting itself down due to excess heat. But, I'm not so sure. But if the temps were easily into the 90s, then I'd be more sure.

·
Intel Extreme 1366
1,665 Posts
It does sound like a power supply problem...however it might not be a defect but the safety shutdown kicking in from either the power supply itself or CPU temperatures. I had a Thermaltake ToughPower 750watt that did the same thing except with the GPUs. Found out that those power supplies get really sensitive in terms of temperatures...so it's safety precaution kicks in. Same thing maybe happening to you which I'm sure the HX850 will fix when it comes in. Just make sure your CPU temperatures are also in the safe range. I've run my 920 @ 4.4Ghz with 1.43v up to 84C with no problems so I doubt it may be the CPU safety kicking in...more towards the power supply.

How old is that current PSU you are using? A power supply will lose its initial wattage capacity over time. Anyway...the HX850 will be a great upgrade as it will give you more headroom for additional peripherals as well as SLI/Crossfire with high end GPUs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Hmm.... then it might be shutting itself down due to excess heat. But, I'm not so sure. But if the temps were easily into the 90s, then I'd be more sure.

I tried to raise voltages a bit more to see if it made a difference, and 1.425v got me running the test for 1 min 30 seconds, and the temps never peaked past 84 degs C, and then the PC shuts off...what indication would that be?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pvp309rcp
View Post

It does sound like a power supply problem...however it might not be a defect but the safety shutdown kicking in from either the power supply itself or CPU temperatures. I had a Thermaltake ToughPower 750watt that did the same thing except with the GPUs. Found out that those power supplies get really sensitive in terms of temperatures...so it's safety precaution kicks in. Same thing maybe happening to you which I'm sure the HX850 will fix when it comes in. Just make sure your CPU temperatures are also in the safe range. I've run my 920 @ 4.4Ghz with 1.43v up to 84C with no problems so I doubt it may be the CPU safety kicking in...more towards the power supply.

How old is that current PSU you are using? A power supply will lose its initial wattage capacity over time. Anyway...the HX850 will be a great upgrade as it will give you more headroom for additional peripherals as well as SLI/Crossfire with high end GPUs.

That PSU is brand new. He purchased it to try and fix this problem because he originally suspected the PSU.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pvp309rcp
View Post

I used to have an Antec Earthwatts 650. However, this issue still stands with the HX850 in place. It's purchased BNIB, and unfortunately hasn't fixed my issue. Also, with the 800D, the PSU is getting excellent airflow, and I feel ambient air coming out of the PSU's exhaust. One nice thing, however, is that this PSU drops ~100 watts of consumption from the AC (according to my Kill-A-Watt, the EA650 at 4.2 ghz LinX load is ~440 watts, the HX850 is now at around 350 identical load).

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I used to have an Antec Earthwatts 650. However, this issue still stands with the HX850 in place. It's purchased BNIB, and unfortunately hasn't fixed my issue. Also, with the 800D, the PSU is getting excellent airflow, and I feel ambient air coming out of the PSU's exhaust. One nice thing, however, is that this PSU drops ~100 watts of consumption from the AC (according to my Kill-A-Watt, the EA650 at 4.2 ghz LinX load is ~440 watts, the HX850 is now at around 350 identical load).

Ah, well at least this thread has something positive so far: we can see how much more efficient the HX850W is over the 650W Antec Earthwatts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicko42004200
View Post

give it a liitle more voltage your shutting down from beening instable. but watch your temps.

Testing out 1.425v, now I don't even get to windows..black screen to which should've been to windows, let me tinker around the bios again since I had reset it in hopes it was a glitch. I might've missed a setting or two.

·
Intel Extreme 1366
1,665 Posts
Sorry I read wrong. Now it doesn't sound like a power supply problem. Have you checked your CPU BIOS settings that may have an effect on it? I'm not familiar with boards other than EVGA in terms of settings. You can try pumping more voltage as it may be instability issues...just watch your temperatures if you're willing to take the risk. Like I said...4.4Ghz is the highest I could reach with 1.43v as anything more is a little to much. Temperatures are just too high over that voltage...but it sucks that I have to bring it back down to 4.33Ghz @ 1.37v because of my new fan controller (putting fans on low speed would cause temperatures to be too high when idle).

You could probably have bad luck with a CPU batch...if you have the extra money you could get another i7 920 to test with to see if you continue to get the same results. After that I would aim for a motherboard RMA if the problem persist...this is my opinion if this was my issue.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
On my rig Last bios update. f10 i can lower cpu volts. 1.337 At @4.2ghz, was like 1.38 volts. Mite help ya. Also, mitte need higher volts. From 4.095 to 4.2 i need like .1975 more volts.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Testing out 1.425v, now I don't even get to windows..black screen to which should've been to windows, let me tinker around the bios again since I had reset it in hopes it was a glitch. I might've missed a setting or two.

Then this must be caused by too much heat.
  1. How much thermal paste did you apply to the heatsink?
  2. How tightly is it installed?
  3. What is your room temperature? Be approximate if necessary.
  4. Can you post pictures of the inside of your rig?

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
You may not be getting enough 12V supply somewhere...

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
its not your psu. its one of your other voltages in bios. it might not even be able to get 4.4 ghz stable? some cpus cant to that high

1 - 20 of 42 Posts