Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've had problems with audio software on this computer ever since I got it early 2009. I started with a Xonar DX but after glitchy software and wrong satellite coordination I bought an X-Fi Titanium. After problems getting the drivers to work (It is Creative after all) I finally got it working for the most part but it would still frequently distort itself into a disgusting slur of cracks and pops if I paused something on iTunes and wouldn't fix itself until I changed modes.

After I reformatted yesterday from Vista x64 to Windows 7 x64, the X-Fi Titanium was even worse. This time, it would cause crackling and distortion whenever I did anything - anything - while sound was playing. This could be mousing over something, doing something in the background, it didn't matter what I did.

So I reinstalled the Xonar DX hoping it would work this time with my Windows 7. Last time I tried it was back in April when I first got my computer and had Vista x64 on it. So, I uninstalled all my sound drivers, restarted, ran Driver Sweeper, restarted again, installed the latest Windows 7 drivers for the Asus Xonar DX which I got from their website. Installed those drivers, restarted my computer.

Now, I'm hesitant to say whether or not it's worse than the X-Fi's problems. See, now the problem is that seemingly randomly it decides to commit suicide on itself at which point it devolves into a disgusting distortion of audio. This happens 100% of the time when I set it to 24-bit 192,000 Hz, and it still has an annoying distortion when I set it to 24-bit 96,000 Hz. When I set it to 48,000 Hz it doesn't constantly distort itself but it frequently and randomly cracks and pops. When I set it to 44,100, it doesn't constantly or randomly crackle or pop but it occasionally will kill itself at which point, like I said, it devolves into that sickening distortion and will persist until I move the Hz down to 16-bit 44,100 or something, then move it back up then it's fine again... for a few minutes.

I'm not quite sure what the catalyst is for the sudden death of my clear sound, one time it happened when I revived the computer from the screen saver. Another time it happened when I was just mousing over something in the start menu. There doesn't seem to be anything in common between the events that precede the death of the sound.

It's not the speakers, I have Z-5500 speakers plus a whole spare set which they sent me for free since my rear-right speaker died. So I already tried plugging in the brand new speakers, it's not a problem. It's all a software problem.

I am so frustrated and sad at this whole ordeal, I just want my sound to work... this computer has been nothing but trouble when it comes to sound software and no matter what sound card I use and no matter what drivers I use, and no matter what operating system I use, and no matter whether I use an optical cable or regular jacks, it's just not working. What is going on, I didn't pay $2000 for this computer to be stuck dead in its tracks on this nebulous sound problem.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Is onboard sound disabled in the bios?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I disabled "High Definition Audio Device" from the BIOS and it's still very distorted if I set it at 192 Mhz through the Xonar control panel. Is that normal? I don't notice any other distortion at the moment, I'll have to give it a few hours of normal use and see if it happens. I'm going to sleep now, though, we'll see tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts