Overclock.net banner

Read original post

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking towards purchasing a NZXT Phantom. Here's my dilemma...

The NZXT Phantom has an issue with fitting H50/H70's so I ruled that out of my choices. However, I feel it is important to have the side panel 200mm fan installed since it is large and can contribute to cooling of many peripherals. However, I will not be able to install this side fan without using a smaller HSF. So what do you guys think?

Side 200mm fan with a 92mm HSF on my CPU or no side fan and a 120mm HSF on my CPU?

Also, regardless of the choice made, the CPU HSF will need to be purchased on Amazon, preferably with Free Super Saver Shipping.

EDIT: "I guess I should mention that I'm not a heavy overclocker
"

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
Big heat sink and a big fan mounted on the outside with a fan grill? That's what I did on my old case lol. Heatsink takes priority tho

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by el gappo View Post
Big heat sink and a big fan mounted on the outside with a fan grill? That's what I did on my old case lol. Heatsink takes priority tho

I guess I should mention that I'm not a heavy overclocker

Also, I almost always recommend against the side fan but in this case, I think it will contribute significantly to cooling across the board, nb/sb, and gpu

·
Registered
171 Posts
Side panel fan for sure. It will help drop the ambient temperatures inside your case, leaving less for your other components to have to worry about.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
My experence if you have more air coming out of your case the better. So go for the side fan and get a smaller heat sink.

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by scaz View Post
My experence if you have more air coming out of your case the better. So go for the side fan and get a smaller heat sink.
By default there's a 200mm and a 120mm exhausting, and 2 120mm's intaking...not enough intake IMO. I think the front fan is absolutely necessary while the side fan is optional.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
I would suggest leaving the side 200mm fan off, and just getting a good tower cooler (if your Mugen II isn't doing it for you.)

Or get a 2x120mm RAD which can be installed up top.

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot
View Post

I would suggest leaving the side 200mm fan off, and just getting a good tower cooler (if your Mugen II isn't doing it for you.)

Or get a 2x120mm RAD which can be installed up top.

Even if I'm not much of an overclocker? You don't think it's better to get good cooling on my north/south bridge and video card? I know processor cooling is the most important and would recommend against a side panel fan in most other cases(since they're small).

If the Phantom could accommodate various configurations of side-panel fans, this would be optimal.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by K10
View Post

Even if I'm not much of an overclocker? You don't think it's better to get good cooling on my north/south bridge and video card? I know processor cooling is the most important and would recommend against a side panel fan in most other cases(since they're small).

If the Phantom could accommodate various configurations of side-panel fans, this would be optimal.

It would, but NZXT didn't hire me to design the case. Otherwise it'd be a work of art.

But no, SB/NB doesn't really need the cooling. MOSFET's would be the only thing that would be aided by better cooling. And in that regard you should get get an Antec Spot Cool and have it cool that area.

As for GPU Cooling, you'll see a good drop in temps with fresh air being blown on it directly, but it's not a huge deal. You would get better temps from putting a better cooler on it.

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

View Post

It would, but NZXT didn't hire me to design the case. Otherwise it'd be a work of art.

But no, SB/NB doesn't really need the cooling. MOSFET's would be the only thing that would be aided by better cooling. And in that regard you should get get an Antec Spot Cool and have it cool that area.

As for GPU Cooling, you'll see a good drop in temps with fresh air being blown on it directly, but it's not a huge deal. You would get better temps from putting a better cooler on it.

Okay, hypothetically speaking what if I NEVER overclocked my CPU ever again?

EDIT: If you look at the thread in my OP, the guy fit an H70 with the top fan. Maybe I should get the H50 and if it doesn't fit with the top fan I'll just move it to the other front spot...that way I can still have good cooling and a side fan.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by K10
View Post

Okay, hypothetically speaking what if I NEVER overclocked my CPU ever again?

EDIT: If you look at the thread in my OP, the guy fit an H70 with the top fan. Maybe I should get the H50 and if it doesn't fit with the top fan I'll just move it to the other front spot...that way I can still have good cooling and a side fan.

Well if you go H50/H70 I'd mount it in the 5.25" Bays if you only use 1 ODD. And then you'll have the side fan blowing on everything of your board. ANd both top fans

And if you never overclocked again, then I would just get a good down-draft cooler.

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

View Post

Well if you go H50/H70 I'd mount it in the 5.25" Bays if you only use 1 ODD. And then you'll have the side fan blowing on everything of your board. ANd both top fans

And if you never overclocked again, then I would just get a good down-draft cooler.

Okay, that sounds like a great idea (H50), I'd +rep you if I could.

Thanks to everyone else who contributed. Going with H50. Will mount it in the back if possible, but if not I'll mount it in the 5.25" bays.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by K10
View Post

Okay, that sounds like a great idea (H50), I'd +rep you if I could.

Thanks to everyone else who contributed. Going with H50. Will mount it in the back if possible, but if not I'll mount it in the 5.25" bays.

No problem man

·
Banned
11,136 Posts
I read something not too long ago about the best air system was side and back had the best airflow and best cooling. Go figure.????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts