Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i still dont know what happened, but when i smelt burning plastic coming from my rig i had to investigate.

This is what i found....
eek.gif

The 24pin on the motherbaord
attachment.php?attachmentid=233354&stc=1&d=1318390835

The 24pin that plugs into the Motherboard
attachment.php?attachmentid=233355&stc=1&d=1318390835

The 24 pin that plugs into the power supply
attachment.php?attachmentid=233356&stc=1&d=1318390835

The Power Supply
attachment.php?attachmentid=233357&stc=1&d=1318390835

Needless to say im wondering what the hell caused this????

You guys think there is any RMA here the power supply is 4months old.

The motherboard has no warranty, So im thinking ill have to get a new one that supports 4 graphics cards....do they make them on P67 or z28 systems?

Im pretty sure my tax return is gone now
frown.gif

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Overload or short circuit on the +12V on your motherboard ATX connector. Possibly caused by running tri-SLI 480s without auxiliary PCIe power to the motherboard.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

Overload or short circuit on the +12V on your motherboard ATX connector. Possibly caused by running tri-SLI 480s without auxiliary PCIe power to the motherboard.

Had a 4pin molex feeding into the PCIe slots.

You think silverstone will RMA this 1500W?

I honestly dont care about the board too much because i can just upgrage that, but there really isnt an upgrade for 1500W

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Segovax
View Post

That is the 3.3V pin...

No, that's the +12V.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jump3r
View Post

Had a 4pin molex feeding into the PCIe slots.

You think silverstone will RMA this 1500W?

I honestly dont care about the board too much because i can just upgrage that, but there really isnt an upgrade for 1500W

They should RMA it as long as it's still in the warranty period.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Yee haw I can smell the plastic burning from here. That doesn't appear to be a problem with the PSU and I'm sure it's still fine, you just need to replace the plastic. The connection just couldn't handle the current. And a 4-pin for the PCIe slots? Don't the cards have 6-pin connectors?

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
Based on one of the photo shots, I can clearly see what happened.
The plug from the PSU has a pin that had somehow gotten pushed back upwards into the plug from the PSU itself and you had a bad/poor connection to that pin. I've seen these pins get pushed in before and even had that happen once but fixed it.
That made it get hot where you see the worst damage and of course led to the meltdown. It's possible the board itself may actually be OK if you can replace the plug-in connector on the board. All you'd need is a donor board to get the plug connector you'll need to do this and be sure you orient the connector plug correctly when you do this.
Yes it's possible to replace it and I've done such a thing once or twice before but you have to be careful about how you go about doing it or you'll make things even worse.
If the board is truly dead, you can't hurt it any worse by trying.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryton
View Post

Based on one of the photo shots, I can clearly see what happened.
The plug from the PSU has a pin that had somehow gotten pushed back upwards into the plug from the PSU itself and you had a bad/poor connection to that pin. I've seen these pins get pushed in before and even had that happen once but fixed it.
That made it get hot where you see the worst damage and of course led to the meltdown. It's possible the board itself may actually be OK if you can replace the plug-in connector on the board. All you'd need is a donor board to get the plug connector you'll need to do this and be sure you orient the connector plug correctly when you do this.
Yes it's possible to replace it and I've done such a thing once or twice before but you have to be careful about how you go about doing it or you'll make things even worse.
If the board is truly dead, you can't hurt it any worse by trying.

Iv been looking at the board and thinking i could prob solder on a new 24pin socket as im an electrical engineer by trade, however i dont think the pin on the psu is the problem i think it is actually something on the board but i dont see any blown caps or melted rails.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump3r;15270563
Iv been looking at the board and thinking i could prob solder on a new 24pin socket as im an electrical engineer by trade, however i dont think the pin on the psu is the problem i think it is actually something on the board but i dont see any blown caps or melted rails.
Where you see the worst damage to the PSU plug, I see the pin as being pushed further up into the plug than the rest of the pins. If you have a poor connection you will naturally see such a thing get hot and in this case hot enough to start melting things, esp if under a load.
Yes, I believe the board could actually be OK and if you could, replace the connector on the board along with using a new/different PSU and give it a shot.
To clarify: I'd suggest using an older PSU to test it with after you replace the bad part on the board first before trying a brand new PSU with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
omg omg omg omg !!!! that's nasty !!

regarding your PSU, silverstone should RMA it, because it was not over loaded so it probably burned because of a bad product unit...

and i think you should try to ask them for a bit of replacement for your motherboard too... because their bad product unit destroy your motherboard too...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryton
View Post

Where you see the worst damage to the PSU plug, I see the pin as being pushed further up into the plug than the rest of the pins. If you have a poor connection you will naturally see such a thing get hot and in this case hot enough to start melting things, esp if under a load.
Yes, I believe the board could actually be OK and if you could, replace the connector on the board along with using a new/different PSU and give it a shot.
To clarify: I'd suggest using an older PSU to test it with after you replace the bad part on the board first before trying a brand new PSU with it.

Sorry the pics not so great and its hard to see the pin with the melted plastic covering most of the port, but in person i can clearly see that its there and is sticking out just as far as the other pins in the PSU and its perfectly center.

Iv just been on the phone with the place i bought it from they are sure ill get an RMA on the PSU.

As for a old PSU i have a 1000w Strider here, but im not going to test it ill just upgrade the board i think grab a 1155 because ivy bridge will run on them anyways so pretty future proof.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jump3r
View Post

Sorry the pics not so great and its hard to see the pin with the melted plastic covering most of the port, but in person i can clearly see that its there and is sticking out just as far as the other pins in the PSU and its perfectly center.

Iv just been on the phone with the place i bought it from they are sure ill get an RMA on the PSU.

As for a old PSU i have a 1000w Strider here, but im not going to test it ill just upgrade the board i think grab a 1155 because ivy bridge will run on them anyways so pretty future proof.

Well, if it is that's how it goes then.
I'd do as you're thinking then for the reasons you stated. Too bad about the system but it can happen to the best of them I guess.

Good luck!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OMG Silverstone are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I recived the following email today!!!

Dear **John Smith**,

How are you? I'm **Jane Smith** SilverStone sales and in charge of the AU business. We regret to hear that your M/B system was be destroyed. The burning situation of the connector should be caused by the overload of electrical current flow, and the main reason is supposed to be power supply circuit or motherboard circuit. Therefore, we need your help to send back the PSU for our analyze, after testing, we will summit the analysis report, and if the problem is caused by power supply we will afford the cost for your damaged parts. Kindly arrange it by our FEDEX account *******, the following is our company shipping information. Thank you in advance!!

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts