Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states I have slowly become disinterested in gaming and PC use in general in the last six months or so. I have decided to significantly downsize just due to my monster sig rig just not getting used sometimes for days or weeks at a time.

I still want a potent rig for gaming but perhaps go to single screen small form factor watercooled system instead. So my back to my question, if you were in my shoes would you part the rig out or try to get a good price for it as is? if so what would be a reasonable ballpark figure for a rig like mine? thanks all.
thumb.gif

If I have posted this in the wrong section could a mod please move it, I'm not sure where to post such general question, thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would part it out, use the parts like CPU and Video card again, for the rest just get an ITX/uATX board and stick it in a small case
smile.gif

I can understand why you want to downsize and recycling/salvaging parts from an old build just has some vibe to it, the system won't fully die out you know, you still have some bits from your ''sig rig''
wink.gif

Goodluck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerbenWerkhoven View Post

I would part it out, use the parts like CPU and Video card again, for the rest just get an ITX/uATX board and stick it in a small case
smile.gif

I can understand why you want to downsize and recycling/salvaging parts from an old build just has some vibe to it, the system won't fully die out you know, you still have some bits from your ''sig rig''
wink.gif

Goodluck with your decision!
Cheers. My plan should I choose to part out would be to keep one Titan and downsize processor to quad 4790K or whatever comes next. I just hate seeing my monster rig sitting there gathering dust. the times I used to game I now spend at the gym and the occasional download. I might put it out there and see what offers I get on the complete unit as I cant really be bothered pulling it all apart. +REP

·
Old guy with a computer
508 Posts
I think parting it out would be best. Its really a nice build but is VERY specialized for a power user/gamer. That being the case, you are going to find it harder to find buyers that understand why the price is so high. Gamers will appreciate the specs but we tend to want to build their own rigs so now you are stuck. I say part it out.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixsis View Post

I think parting it out would be best. Its really a nice build but is VERY specialized for a power user/gamer. That being the case, you are going to find it harder to find buyers that understand why the price is so high. Gamers will appreciate the specs but we tend to want to build their own rigs so now you are stuck. I say part it out.
Yes this I know its like a highly customized car, most who appreciate that type of rig have probably already built one themselves or are planning to, hrmm looks like Ill be stripping down the beast. +REP

·
Registered
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodbath View Post

Cheers. My plan should I choose to part out would be to keep one Titan and downsize processor to quad 4790K or whatever comes next. I just hate seeing my monster rig sitting there gathering dust. the times I used to game I now spend at the gym and the occasional download. I might put it out there and see what offers I get on the complete unit as I cant really be bothered pulling it all apart. +REP
Actually downsizing on CPU isn't that big of a deal, I think you could even rock with an i5 or something similar, as long as you don't do hardcore renderings.
tongue.gif

Greetings

EDIT: Thanks for reps
wheee.gif

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerbenWerkhoven View Post

Actually downsizing on CPU isn't that big of a deal, I think you could even rock with an i5 or something similar, as long as you don't do hardcore renderings.
tongue.gif

Greetings

EDIT: Thanks for reps
wheee.gif
Nah I don't do anything hardcore anymore I barely even game on it much less anything else. In saying that I would still like something I can OC and I definitely plan to get a small case eg Prodigy or similar and squeeze in a Rad or two for some OCing and general noise reduction. Once a watercooler I just cant go back to a big bulky aircooler.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodbath View Post

Nah I don't do anything hardcore anymore I barely even game on it much less anything else. In saying that I would still like something I can OC and I definitely plan to get a small case eg Prodigy or similar and squeeze in a Rad or two for some OCing and general noise reduction. Once a watercooler I just cant go back to a big bulky aircooler.
I see a build log coming
wink.gif
wink.gif

Hehe just kidding, I'm looking forward in what you are going to make of it.

Greetings

·
Registered
500 Posts
Parting out and keeping some would certainly be the more cost effective solution.

You could grab an ITX board, i5 4690k (i5 is all you really need for just gaming), you could keep 1 titan (or sell all 3 titans and pick up 1 980), keep 2 of the sicks of ram (8gb is enough for gaming), and pick up a nice new case (for SFF watercooling you might be best of with a Caselabs Mercury S3, or try to get a beautiful Ncase M1 (limited rad space though)). Then you would have one very nice SFF rig!

The other option would be to grab a mATX X79 board, keep your CPU, RAM, 2 Titans, and then a new case (Caselabs Mercury M5, Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, Corsair 350D). Again you would still end up with a smaller right with almost as much power.

One thing to keep in mind for going to mITX (and normally mATX) is you will no longer be able to use a sound card. I would recommend getting an external AMP/DAC, much better sound quality!

Edit: Corrected X99 reference to X79.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I would do a partial part-out. Keep some of the parts to use for the new rig, sell everything else.

If it were me, I would keep a Titan, the RAM, the drives, the sound card, and the VG278h monitor.

·
Premium Member
4,173 Posts
I'd part it all out and just keep one of the Titans. As you said yourself, most people who want something like that just build one themselves. The 3930+mobo and two Titans should fetch enough on the secondary market to more than pay for your next rig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEStorm View Post

The other option would be to grab a mATX X99 board, keep your CPU, RAM, 2 Titans, and then a new case (Caselabs Mercury M5, Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, Corsair 350D). Again you would still end up with a smaller right with almost as much power.
Only problem is that his 3930K can't run on an X99 board. That's a Sandy-E part, two generations too old for running on an X99 platform. Could certainly do it on a mATX x79 board, though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

I'd part it all out and just keep one of the Titans. As you said yourself, most people who want something like that just build one themselves. The 3930+mobo and two Titans should fetch enough on the secondary market to more than pay for your next rig.
Only problem is that his 3930K can't run on an X99 board. That's a Sandy-E part, two generations too old for running on an X99 platform. Could certainly do it on a mATX x79 board, though.
Oops, that's what I meant. Was thinking X79 but typed X99!

Edit: You could also sell all three monitors and pick up a nice 1440p one!

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
I would partial part-out...

Sell the processor, board, half the RAM, and one of the Titans. Off load the water cooling bits and one of your displays as well. Then move to a dual Titan mATX build around an i5. Maybe sell off the older SSDs that you have, and just use the one Samsung for OS and a few games you might keep playing. Later on if you still feel the need to dump something, get rid of the second Titan and just run a single Titan.

Basically, size down to an i5 K series with 8GB of RAM and a Titan or two, toss on a low noise cooler and call it good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts