Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have felt performance on this Rig has been crap ever since I built it. I picked up Battlefield 3 today and my rig is running like trash. I am playing at 1360/768.

I run BF3 at Medium with HBAO/SSAO (Off), AA (off), Post Alias (Off) & everything else at Medium. Playing in a 24 player server results in alot of laggish movementespecially in kinda big battles. alot of people tell me that my CPU is perfectly fine for BF3 but alot of people say that my CPU sucks hard in BF3.

Would I get better performance by switching to a 2500K. My GPU fluctuates alot during gameplay really never staying steady. Looking at my CPU it was around 64% usage. I have updated my BIOS. I am running 12.1 Preview drivers.

Its not just BF3 I feel that Skyrim doesnt run well either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
buy a i7 2600 or 2600k if you want to oc it , then get another hd6870 for a crossfire you will be OK to play at 1080p with high settings

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
You can play BF3 at near high at 1080p with HD6870... is it overclocked?

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
BF3 will take as much CPU you can throw at it

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am playing at 1360/768 I figured a 6870 would be more then enough for this res. I was debating weather or not the i3-2120 is whats holding me back in a couple of games. I heard BF3 is very CPU Dependent. I was hoping to wait for IVY but at this rate with how BF3 is running with the i3 I may just say forget it and buy a 2500K

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Do you have the latest ATI/AMD drivers for your graphics card? I think your CPU may be your limiting factor, followed by your GPU.

It looks like you built a budget rig, but even then I would expect better performance.. my brother's i5-2410M and HD 6770M can easily handle medium settings on 32-player servers without too much trouble, and that's a mobile platform that can't compete with desktop components.

The i3-2120 is LGA 1155 so you should be able to seamlessly upgrade to an i5-2500/K, if you've got the budget for one

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
It's the CPU. I bet even lower lower graphical settings will result in nearly the same FPS. I had a 550 @ 3.6, then hopped over to an 830 @ stock and my frames hoped like Jack over the candle.

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingqi53 View Post

Do you have the latest ATI/AMD drivers for your graphics card? I think your CPU may be your limiting factor, followed by your GPU.
It looks like you built a budget rig, but even then I would expect better performance.. my brother's i5-2410M and HD 6770M can easily handle medium settings on 32-player servers without too much trouble, and that's a mobile platform that can't compete with desktop components.
The i3-2120 is LGA 1155 so you should be able to seamlessly upgrade to an i5-2500/K, if you've got the budget for one
Yeah running the 12.1 Preview drivers.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Your CPU is holding you back. I have an i7 2600K and the same GPU and get great performance on High and decent on Ultra at 1080p. Until I get my second card for Crossfire that's my only bottleneck. At least upgrade it to a i5 2500k you'll see a performance boost and they overclock well.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Find out your BF3 FPS in game by opening the console (~) and typing render.drawfps 1
My 5850 with a wee OC is basically neck and neck with a stock 6870.

I play 1920 x 1080 - all high - no AA - no post - 16xAF - no HB/SSAO. In heavy action I'll dip down to 38 for a moment but avg 45-50

I also run the FXAA injector which is avg 5-7 FPS hit. With FXAA injector off mid 50s avg.

·
Washed Up Old Gamer
4,681 Posts
Sounds like a driver issue to me as well. That setup should handle that res fine imo.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I vote driver issue. A 6870 with a SB i3 should be able to easily handle it. My Phenom II is slower, and it paired with a 5770 ran it perfectly well at 1080p (obviously not maxed with AA, but all High with 2x).

Can you try forcing DX9 to see if it runs better?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Overclock it. My i3 540 @ 4.2ghz with my 570 sli runs BF3 with absolutely everything maxed at 1080p.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser23 View Post

Can i see the benches where it shows the dual core bottleneck, and which dual core cpu are you talking about?
I also think it's most likely a driver issue.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1654043

Nice writeup by some folks at HF. All review sites seemed to test dual / quad core on the scripted single-player and were very close. hardforum results were recorded in 64 player matches.

·
PC Gamer
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will try the obvious first and try 11.12 instead of 12.1.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts