Overclock.net banner

What should I Do??

  • 5850 + 1 more in the future. Watercool

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 5870 + 1 more in the future. Watercool

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 5970 Watercool

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Dont do anything, wait for fermi/price drop

    Votes: 10 52.6%

Sigh...I am really stuck in a rut

716 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Daveros
Well guys, I am really down in the dumps right now. I need to get started on my essay which is due on monday, but I can't because I keep getting distracted by my graphic card situation. So I need your guys help and advice on this.

So recently, I had 2x gtx 260s which performed like a dream. They handled it all and I loved them. Then I got an offer for $290 for both, which was a great deal. Considering that they were about to drop even further in price I decided to sell them for $290 right then and there.

Fast forward 1 week, I am still using my crappy 8800gt, and I long for the performance of my old 260s. So for the last few days, instead of working on my essay, I have been researching my ass off for which graphics card to get. And I still have not made a decision.

Basically I've narrowed it down to these options though:
1) Get a 5850 ~ $300 right now, crossfire later when price drops. Get 2 waterblocks for both cards when I get more $$

2) Get a 5870 ~ 420 right now, crossfire later when price drops. Get 2 waterblocks for both cards when I have more $$

3)Get a 5970 ~640 right now. Get a waterblock when I have more $$

4)Don't get anything just stick with the 8800gt until Fermi comes out/price drops

I'm really big on watercooling, and I love the look of having 2x graphic cards in my rig. The problem is, I don't know if I will even get any performance benefit from WC, as I'm seeing that most 5xxx cards are limited by voltage not temps.

I've been just bouncing back and forth option to option, staring hours after hours at the shopping cart, but never can pull the trigger. I've never EVER thought about spending so much on a graphics card(s) before. I kind of wish I never sold the gtx 260s, because I'm having such a hard time finding a worthy replacement for $290. What should I do OCN?.... and thanks for helping.
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Btw, I should add that I am leaning towards option 1, which is a 5850 for ~ $300 right now. That way I can feel like I didn't spend anything and traded in both my 260s for a 5850. The only problem is that I will still feel bad because it will be a downgrade in performance
See less See more
I would wait for fermi and the associated ati price drops, but that's just me.
2 5850's.

Fermi isn't coming out until February/March.

5870's are too close to 5850's.

5970 has VRM issues.
Id just wait for a while!
#4 is what id do.
Good call. The 5850's are awesome cards, plus you seemed to get a very good deal, too.

You still gonna watercool 'em?
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.