Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to bother you again fellas, but this doesn't seem to be my day.

Well, after all the help I got with this DFI I just recieved, I decided to follow the steps in the Ultimate OC guide for once, and now I'm stuck. I found the max FSB for my mobo, which happened to be 285 x 8, 2:3 mem ratio, vcore 1.67, and vdimm 2.8. So then it said to find the max for your memory by setting at 1:1 ratio, adjust your timings (mine are 2-3-3-10) and then up your memory's FSB. How do you do this????

Anyways, since I couldn't do this, I left the ratio at 1:1 and tried to raise the CPU FSB. I can get to 210 x 11 from 200 x 11 but not any higher. And even at 210 it isn't stable. ***??? What am I doing wrong. With my K8V I could get 224 FSB out of it.

The only good thing is that even stock 200 I get 3 000 more Aquamark points than I did with my 224 on the K8V.

The only thing I can think of is that my memory timings, (this is the first time ever that I have adjusted them) are too tight for my crappy value RAM.

Sorry for the length, but when i try to up the FSB it won't boot but something that says nVidia RAID IDE controller comes up and it says searching for array......

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Have you tried increasing the voltage to your CPU or memory??

Sorry should have read the post better. NM

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

Have you tried increasing the voltage to your CPU or memory??

Sorry should have read the post better. NM

Nope, thats not it. I've put the voltage up to 1.8 and still no luck, although i was in serious danger of burning something as I don't have my watercooling up yet

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

Nope, thats not it. I've put the voltage up to 1.8 and still no luck, although i was in serious danger of burning something as I don't have my watercooling up yet

What were your temps at 210X11??

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

What were your temps at 210X11??

about 35-47C
thats at 1.67 vcore

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

about 35-47C
thats at 1.67 vcore

I think the ram is holding you back. Do you know anybody you can barrow some Good PC 3500 Or 4000 from to test the theory??

·
Registered
645 Posts
this is what i do:
looser timings like 3-4-4-10, then find your max 1:1.
after that i lower till its stable.

hope i helped.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what I was thinking from the beginning, as I bought this Corsair value RAM (thought it was a good idea at the time, during a time before OC.net) and am not happy. And in this small town, noone has even heard of RAM, let alone PC 4000. lol, even the local computer store thought I was joking when I said I wanted prices on PC 4000. I still don't understand why it wouldn't let any OC tho, not even 5% Maybe I'll get some money for Christmas so I can go shopping

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtoMicMoNkEy15

this is what i do:
looser timings like 3-4-4-10, then find your max 1:1.
after that i lower till its stable.

hope i helped.

At 3-4-4-10 I can get 210, but still not stable, I already tried. And my benchmark scores are better with the RAM tighter, so I guess I'm stuck stock until then. But, a question still remains, how do I overclock my RAM. Is it automatic with a 1:1 ratio when I up my CPU FSB??

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
This may help. It was written by Archer and is easy to read.

Just to let you understand why exactly getting faster ram will help you overclock better, I want to try and explain the cpu ram relationship.

Your base FSB is 133Mhz, and your RAM's actual bus speed is 133Mhz, this gives you a 1:1 ratio. When you increase the FSB, the memory bus also increases. So since you are running FSB of 145Mhz your RAM is also running 145Mhz. Now remember as your FSB increases so is your RAM and your RAM is going to hit it's Max overclock at one point (What your max OC on your is something I couldn't tell you).

When your RAM hits it's max OC, your FSB is going to be limited to as fast as your RAM will run. This is the point where poeple talk about running dividers such as 3:2, 5:4, etc, so that the RAM will actualy run slower than the FSB allowing you to increase the FSB but also limiting performance. I will not get into dividers right now.

Faster ram will let you increase the FSB until it gets up to the RAMs rated speed. If you get the PC3200 you will have atleast 67Mhz of headroom because it's rated speed is 200Mhz, if you get the Pc2700 you will have atleast 33Mhz of headroom because it's rated speed is 166Mhz.

Example
"You may or may not be able to get the FSB up as high as these examples!"

with PC3200 you could get the FSB up to atleast 200Mhz
with PC2700 you could get the FSB up to atleast 166Mhz.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That makes sense, thanks. I guess I am stuck then, as my RAM is unable to OC and is maxxed out at the max rated speed. Oh well, not like it's all that slow to begin with, just that I'm now dissapointed that my mobo and watercooling is a total waste until I get better RAM.

Already repped you, have a nice day.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

That makes sense, thanks. I guess I am stuck then, as my RAM is unable to OC and is maxxed out at the max rated speed. Oh well, not like it's all that slow to begin with, just that I'm now dissapointed that my mobo and watercooling is a total waste until I get better RAM.

Already repped you, have a nice day.

Actually Good PC 3200 should be able to get over the rated speed But I like to keep mine at a 1:1 ratio. IMO a True overclock.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
That nVidia IDE RAID display is the board performing a safety check on the hard disk controlers and hyper-transport subsystem whenever you up the FSB a considerable amount, it'll usually do it 1 or 2 times, possibley 3, then boot into Windows, so let it do its thing and try it. Jack the vDIMM up man, the board will give you 3.1volts, use it!

Well anyway, I jacked around with my memory timings quite a bit more and got my Super Pi score down to 35 seconds

1 - 13 of 13 Posts