Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new MATX case for my Arcade Rig that is in my sig. The case i bought is a very cheap case that fits the size i was looking for. It's called AvP Hyperion EV33B. I need 1 or 2 92mm fans for exhaust. Might run them in 7v to keep them Silent. Can anyone recommend me any good ones.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone know if the. Fractal Design Silent Series R3 92mm for exhaust will do the job. Or do i need something better.

·
Premium Member
27,134 Posts
Where can I see some pics of this case and it's vents? Doesn't it have a couple 120mm fan vents? With a couple good intake fans, you probably don't need an exhaust fan. Case is like a cooler .. case intake only is like push fan on a cooler. My guess is if you are brave enough, cut out the back 92mm to a bigger vent hole, rempve PCIe slot covers and don't use the I/O shield for motherboard. This will give you more rear vent area .. which is more exhaust airflow area to match the intake vent / airflow area. A can can only flow as much air as the lesser of the two; intake and exhaust. We can have 4x 140mm intakes, but if we only have 1x 140mm exhaust, the 4x intakes can only flow as much air as the 1x exhaust hole can flow. Hope that makes sense. You might find 5th post in "Ways to Better Cooling' linked in my sig helpful. It's about case airlfow.

• Rep+
Reactions: FlyingSolo

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks doyll for your reply. I am still waiting for the case to be delivered to me. The case only has two 120mm fans at the front. And one 120mm on the side panel. And two 80mm to 92mm fans at the back.

There is not a lot of pic i can find of the case. But here is a video of the case i found.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My plan was to add two Corsair AF120 quiet edition at the front. And two Corsair SP120 quiet edition on a corsair h75 on the side. Exhausting air out. Also using one or two 92mm at the back for exhaust as well.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
  • Rep+

·
Premium Member
27,134 Posts
What RnRollee said for intakes, or get a couple of 1850rpm Gentle Typhoons, but I would forget the exhaust fans and just open up the back. I would use PWM fans and control them with CPU fan PWM signal and / or GPU PWM fan signal. No back fans would be needed, just open up the back so there is room for the airflow from front intakes to flow on out the back. Details of how to setup PWM control of case fans
http://www.overclock.net/t/1491876/ways-to-better-cooling-airflow-cooler-fan-data/0_20#post_22319246

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks doyll. Will test it out without buying the 92mm fans. And see how it goes once i have the case delivered.

·
Premium Member
27,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSolo View Post

Thanks doyll. Will test it out without buying the 92mm fans. And see how it goes once i have the case delivered.
I know it sounds kinda crazy to say 'open up the back', but even the best grills block 20-30% of the open area, and that does not take into consideration how much turbulence they create .. and turbulence lowers airflow even more.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1491876/ways-to-better-cooling-airflow-cooler-fan-data/0_20#post_22657923

Here are a few cases with grills removed. Ehume also removes his.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1491876/ways-to-better-cooling-airflow-cooler-fan-data/40_20#post_23754692

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
I concur with Doyll. Here is an example:

The reason for cutting out the rear grill? See the link at item 2 in my sig.

One thing is true: no quiet 92mm fan pushes much air. All 92mm fan that push much air are noisy. Doyll is giving you good advice.

From item 2:

Beta Evo - moddedTissue Up

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks ehume. I just ordered one Noctua NF B9 92mm just in case i need it. Will test it out once i get the case.

·
Premium Member
27,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSolo View Post

Thanks ehume. I just ordered one Noctua NF B9 92mm just in case i need it. Will test it out once i get the case.
buttkick.gif

Sorry but you are wasting money.

2x good 120mm fans (fans designed to overcome resistance to flow a good volume of air like used on radiators) in the front of your case and open the back so the exhaust vent area is similar to front intake vent area and your case will flow as good as it can.

No 92mm fan can keep up with 2x 120mm fans .. well maybe some super loud stacked reverse rotation fan that is more like a jet engine than a fan .. like the ones used in electric powerd RC jet aircraft .. just be sure you use ear protection and there is nothing loose inside your case.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
  • Rep+

·
Premium Member
27,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnRollie View Post

welll, here's a 92mm fan that is PWM, has 77 CFm at full tilt and only 14 dB(a) at min speed
https://products.sanyodenki.com/en/contents/hp0067/list.php?CNo=67&ProCon=1203
well, at full speed it can move the airflow of 2x 120mm intake fans and make 43+dB with nothing restricting it's flow. Add a grill and the noise goes up. But yeah, it will idle down to 14dBA with nothing restricting it's flow .. no grill, nothing .. but only move 23cfm.

A good single 120mm fan moves about 50cfm. Some move three times as much, but are also much louder.

San Ace make good fans, but can be a little hard to find.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
If you are going to spend money to get a San Ace fan, look on Newark or Premier (if you are outside the US) and get the San Ace Silent 9S1212F404 or 9S1212M401. Leave the rear empty. No 92mm fan can keep up.

Alternatively, get 2 x Noctua NH-P12 or 2 x GT's -- pick your rpm.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But wouldn't the two Corsair SP120 on the h75 that will be exhausting out the side help with the heat inside the case.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

If you are going to spend money to get a San Ace fan, look on Newark or Premier (if you are outside the US) and get the San Ace Silent 9S1212F404 or 9S1212M401. Leave the rear empty. No 92mm fan can keep up.

Alteranatively, get 2 x Noctua NH-P12 or 2 x GT's -- pick your rpm.
Thanks ehume. Will check out the fans you said.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts