Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am going to be buying my first gaming PC soon and here is what I am going to buy:

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=137394&action=wish_lists

Also not on the list: Achieva Shimian QH270 Lite- $380
Filco Majestouch Ninja Cherry MX Blue Keyboard - $166

I want a near silent if not completely silent gaming rig that can handle modern & upcoming titles at 2560x1440.
I would like to hear your opinion of this build & and recommendations you have that could make it better.

Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Should it be very quiet / silent during gaming sessions or just when it is idle?

EDIT:

Any Nvidia/AMD preference we should know of in advance?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would to prefer it to be completely silent idle & near/completely silent during gaming.
I have no preference with Amd or Nvidia but i think the 7970 is better for 2560x1440 due to the extra vram (for the eyecandy & stuff and just for peace of mind that it'll be enough for future games), im pretty sure the 7970 outperforms the 670 in most situations & i can get them for the same price and also the accelero cooler for 7970 is $10 cheaper than the one for 670.

·
Registered
139 Posts
OK.

The reason I ask for AMD vs. Nvidia is that heat is your worst enemy when going for silence and the 7970 is rated for more watts than a GTX680.
However I can see why you want to go for additional memory, although it should not be relevant right now, textures will only get bigger.

My experience with AC heatsinks is that the fans are good at idle, but they tend to be to noisy for my taste under load.
Obviously noise level is a personal preference thing and they may not bother you.
It's probably a toss up between your original setup and this, but I would look at the DirectCU II version of the 7970, it's 50$ more, and not buy the AC solution.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1309&products_id=19728

1 - 4 of 4 Posts