Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,465 Posts
My seagates run almost perfectly silent
compared to my old IDE WD 160 they're much quieter.
they are SATAII 320 GB 7200.10 perpendicular recording ones.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by ThaLoveDocta
View Post

My seagates run almost perfectly silent
compared to my old IDE WD 160 they're much quieter.
they are SATAII 320 GB 7200.10 perpendicular recording ones.

so seagate over WD? BTW,Hows your build coming along?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Samsung Spinpoint HDD are probably the quieter than WD or Seagate. In most cases, you'll lose some performance/capacity for silence. You may want to even go with a quiet 5000RPM drive. You other other is get an cooling/silencing internal enclosure for your drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,465 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by sladesurfer
View Post

so seagate over WD? BTW,Hows your build coming along?

i've been running into some stability issues and some heat issues but they will be resolved by weeks end i have the Swiftech NB cooler on it's way to deal with that (speedfan reported 127 degrees on the AUX!! i think its' an error though. but it's still too hot to touch.) I think the NB caused the stability problems. and a BIOS update is needed. Also i have more CAT5e arriving on friday, to fix that up, and finally some real AS5 rather than the stock stuff, so i can put it on the NB and the CPU. Otherwise it's great! the RAID array setup fine (eventually) and i can clock to 2.9 fairly easily under 1.4V.


Quote:


Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Samsung Spinpoint HDD are probably the quieter than WD or Seagate. In most cases, you'll lose some performance/capacity for silence. You may want to even go with a quiet 5000RPM drive. You other other is get an cooling/silencing internal enclosure for your drive.

you don't have to know slade very well to know that he will not be buying a 5000 RPM drive, or anything that will compromise performance. and in my opinion the seagates are quieter than the WD's (my gf has a WD too) and they are also thankfully the top two HDD's on the market
(WD 16MB and Seagate 7200.10)
 

·
SNERP!!!
Joined
·
4,183 Posts
You should try to find a solid state drive
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,049 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Samsung Spinpoint HDD are probably the quieter than WD or Seagate. In most cases, you'll lose some performance/capacity for silence. You may want to even go with a quiet 5000RPM drive. You other other is get an cooling/silencing internal enclosure for your drive.

My WD is quieter than my samsung spinpoint
 

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
Joined
·
7,568 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Samsung Spinpoint HDD are probably the quieter than WD or Seagate. In most cases, you'll lose some performance/capacity for silence. You may want to even go with a quiet 5000RPM drive. You other other is get an cooling/silencing internal enclosure for your drive.

yes i would say you are correct

my samsungs are quick and nice a quiet.... the only thing i can hear from them is them viabrating my alloy case - but thats only my IDE that does that

my SATA is silent... and very fast
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:


Originally Posted by ThaLoveDocta
View Post

many say it's indistiguishable. i've never used a raptor so i'm not sure... but these drives are stupid fast the way i have em now.

I love my raptors but they're loud and not enough storage capacity. If its equal in performnace then im going to get 4 in raid 0
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top