Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tt Silent Tower: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...9136&CatId=795

SI-97: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...109-120&depa=0

Tt Tower112: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...4410&CatId=795

*Price is in CAD$

All of them have good rep.
Tower112 is made of Cooper, which the other 2 are made of aluminum.
Tower112 is HEAVY, especially when you add your fans on top of it.
Silent Tower is light and also can plugs with 2 fans.
SI-97...many users here using it and said its a great HS.

I am getting really confuse here....since all of them are great stuff.
I just don't know which one I should get for my XP-M 2600+ (surely I'll overclock it)

Which one I should go for guys?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
For best overclockability: SI-97 with high flow fan...

For best middle ground: Tower112, will provide room for overclocking, but most likely not as good as SI-97

For quiestest operation with some room for OC'ing: obviously the silent tower, I overclocked my 3000 up 400 Mhz with a silent TT...not too shabby!

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
unless you sleep in the room you have this computer in or if you cant take noise well I would get the Thermal right And yea have A TON of CMF and you will see some very nice oc's

or now they sell w/c for $150 for good systems

if you want totally silent go check out zalman they take so much pride in their

silence. their great

-rep if helped

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Inquisitor

unless you sleep in the room you have this computer in or if you cant take noise well

Both true.

Since most people here are saying SI-97 is better for OC, I guess I'll go for it.

For the fan I am gonna use on the SI-97...Im not planning to use fans like Tornado.

Im gonna get some balance....I'll use some mid-range CFM fan, at least it wont be too loud. This works too?

·
Registered
840 Posts
How bout a thermalright + high CFM fan + fan controller? A bit expensive, but it's a silent/performance solution.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack

How bout a thermalright + high CFM fan + fan controller? A bit expensive, but it's a silent/performance solution.

great solution !
thx..!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a TT Silent tower.... It does not even break a sweat to keep my rig cool and I am running a single fan.... It is Heavy but I have not had a problem with it.... If you want to reduce the wieght and stay with pure cooper what about the PIPE101 or if you want silent the fanless 103.......

Again I can not see too many other heatsinks being able to out do the Tower112 or the silent tower. I think it comes down to price and personal prefrence....

Plus if you have a case set up like mine the tower blows the air to the rear of the case right into my rear exhaust fans (about 1" between them)..... The thermalright would blow it into the case first until it can be drawn out or forced out......

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oops, double post... It forwarded me to "page cannot be displayed" so I clicked submit again...

Another option is my "ghetto cooling" set-up... costs nothing if you have a pedistal house fan... LOL

*picture the case on the other side of the monitor, on the table, with the side off and the fan blowing directly into it... will have 'real' pics tommorow...

http://www.overclock.net/showthread....8743#post58743

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomhauer

Why dont you try one of these... I might be abit biased towards CoolerMaster (cause my work carries them), but they work very well...

Ultra Vortex KCC-V91 http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...467d34a24f28ca = around $65 Cdn (my cost)

Hyper 6 KHC-V81 http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...-V81+Hyper%206 = around $50 Cnd (my cost)

Both look great.
But I really not sure how do they work with the XP-M 2600+ after OC.....all I know is the info from that website, thats it.
No evidence to support their performance.

Thanks for the info though!

·
Registered
139 Posts
the difference in these coolers is mainly found in the airflow
-the tower coolers dont fire air direcly on the mobo (this is not a good thing) motherboard makers have planned on the airflow from the processor to help cool the rest of the motherboard components surrounding the socket housing

-the SI-97 can be compared fairly with thermaltakes pipe 101 since they produce the same processor temps (both peak & idle) but the winner is still the SI-97 because of the design it fires airflow everywhere around the socket which lowers the system temps 5-8C lower than with the pipe-101

tower coolers are great for the processor bad for the motherboard and since a majority of the ppl here overclock...the answer should be easy

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack

I know its a great solution...but...

The reason why I want a Fan Controller in this scenario is because I hate the noise from the fan.

If Im going to slow down my fan by the FC because the fan noise....then why I need a high CFM fan or a Fan Controller.

Maybe you'll say...incase your CPU is gettng hot so you can always have the option to speed up the fan and cool it down...but honestly...I just cant take the noise by the Tornado fan (for example)

Oh yea...Im a picky guy...heheh....so whats the solution for this one then?

I guess I need a fan that got some high CFM#, but low dBa.

Is there anything like this?! In my dream only...?

*I'll go for the SI-97 for the HS*

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahson

I guess I need a fan that got some high CFM#, but low dBa.

Is there anything like this?! In my dream only...?

*I'll go for the SI-97 for the HS*

SI-97
and 92mm thermaltake silent cat (52cfm @ 21dba)

the difference in cooling ability of 50cfm vs 100cfm is few c at best

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by foneone

the difference in these coolers is mainly found in the airflow
-the tower coolers dont fire air direcly on the mobo (this is not a good thing) motherboard makers have planned on the airflow from the processor to help cool the rest of the motherboard components surrounding the socket housing

-the SI-97 can be compared fairly with thermaltakes pipe 101 since they produce the same processor temps (both peak & idle) but the winner is still the SI-97 because of the design it fires airflow everywhere around the socket which lowers the system temps 5-8C lower than with the pipe-101

tower coolers are great for the processor bad for the motherboard and since a majority of the ppl here overclock...the answer should be easy

heatpipe technology is not dependant on airflow directly on the cpu....
Heatpipe technology is basically phase change...
not refridgeration... since heatpipes lack compression...
what the heatpipe does do is transfer heat well
the heatpipes are hollow and filled with a refridgerant " a coolant that boils at lower temps than water"
so how does this help...
well when the coolant boils it transfers heat up the pipe towards the finns...
the finns then cool the coolant and it falls back down to the cpu side of the pipe... this happens often and it cools your processor... what you are cooling with your fans is the finns and the top of your pipes....
so heatpipes blowing down actually lower your CFMs due to backpressure...
i have the tower 112 and i believe it is possibly a superior cooler over the si-97 just because of its all copper construction alone.
we all know copper transfers heat better than alluminum...

but by having the fins going across the motherboard this allows for better flow and therefore better cooling...plus the silent tower and the tower 112 can be vented out the back of the case... the only true issues ive seen with the tt112 and the silent tower are there mounting hights...they are tall...
so expect a tight fit...

any way you look at it heatpipes are good tech to buy...
this could just be my oppinion i guess but i believe it to be tru...
the blowing on the chip thing doesnt help performance...
if you think it does then take off your HS and blow on you chip

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

XP-120? Alot of 120mm fans run about 80-90CFM with low dB.

It said it will only fit on A64 and Intel whatever it is....
just not XP

·
Registered
139 Posts
either i didnt make something clear or you missed it...

the airflow does more for the motherboard components...keeping them cooler. look at any watercooled system and one of the major problems is lack of airflow on the motherboard.

i agreed that the tower coolers rock but they do have their faults just like any form of cooling out there.

i fully understand the concept behind heat pipes & i have also tested the 3 coolers i was speaking about (same rig- same clock speed, same ambient temp)
thermaltake pipe101
thermaltake silenttower
thermalright SI-97

fans used
92mm tt silent cat
92mm vantec tornado (full speed)

they all held the cpu temps about the same - the differences were in system temperatures. you dont have to like or agree with what i say but i tested them myself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.