Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had setup my RAID as a RAID 0, I booted into Windows and let it format the disks. This took around three hours, way too long for me to think everything is alright with the drive. So, after that finished, I tried copying my music to the array, it copied over in two hours, again, way too long. I then tried to change permissions on the files and boom, the array disappears from Disk Management and My computer. Upon reboot the RAID array still says it is healthy, but when it boots into Windows, it does a ChkDsk.

Is Silicon Raid worth it? This card is quite old, so I am not thinking about returning it, but, should I get a new one?

I was looking at getting a Perc 5/i or 6/i, but I am not sure which one I should get, if I do. I did look a bit at the whitepapers for the 6/i but I don't quite understand why the 5/i has error correcting memory and the 6/i doesn't. While the 6/i has more features.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
You don't *have* go with a PERC card

But to answer your first question, I'd junk the Sil RAID option. Not really worth it. I have Sil controllers that provide additional SATA/eSATA ports and that's about it.

I have an Adaptec 2405 PCI-e x8 RAID card that does RAID-0,1,10. No RAID-5, but that's okay. RAID-5 too slow for me anyways. I run 4-drive RAID-10.

PERC is nice-to-have. Just suggesting one other possible alternative

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Yeah SI controllers aren't good for anything but adding SATA ports to old systems. And unfortunately, your motherboard isn't much better

The only notable difference between the 5/i and 6/i is RAID6 support. If you don't care for RAID6 then you don't need to bother with it.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GH0 View Post
Manyak, it is on a different system then mine. Motherboard isn't anything to worry about.

I was also looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816102116

I just need to wait for it to be in stock. Only downfall is that it only has two ports.

Or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-080-_-Product

Problem with the second, is that it is only listed as compatible on a small amount of motherboards.

The other problem with the second is that it's PCI, so you'll end up limited by the bus speed. And hell, for the $135 it costs you might as well get a PERC.

And the first one, well, like you said it only has two ports. You might actually end up better off getting two cheap SiImage controllers and using software RAID instead.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Whenever I see Silicon Image on a disk controller, I run like hell.

I have an LSI SAS3442E-R card I've never used. I'll have to figure out how much to sell it for.

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
For the cost of a good RAID card, consider that you could switch to a good MB that has Intel RAID onboard. May not be as fast but it depends on your needs..

eVGA makes nice stuff, but their RAID is poor.

Wonder why you don't read about an Intel PCIe RAID controller? Wouldn't that be nice..
..a

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Intel do have a range of hardware RAID cards.

The only thing is - they are made by LSI. They are very nice, but have price tags to match...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts