Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have to fix a computer where i work at, the heatsink fell off the northbridge so what i got is some akasa thermal adhesive tape. b4 i place in, i have to remove the thermal paste which im guessing is silicone, its pink, and is real hard. it wont wipe off. anyone know any way of removing this stuff? its on the heatsink and the north bridge. i have to remove it b4 placing the thermal tape.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
yeah absolutely, just grab a hairdryer (if you have got one) and blow it over the thermal paste for a couple of minutes. it should get soft after only a little while, and when it does, just simply use a razor blade to scrape it off. if you get it just at the right temperature, it should all just come off as one big soft piece.

works like a charm

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've used Goo-B-Gone to remove an epoxy from a heatsink and a processor

That may work for your problem

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Lacquer thinner

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
NONONONO don't do anything anyone has mentioned! All of those things can and will damage the components around the chip!

Just get some strong rubbing alcohol (over 90%) and have at it with a q-tip and some lint-free cloth. Should dissolve without much effort.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slothfish
View Post

NONONONO don't do anything anyone has mentioned! All of those things can and will damage the components around the chip!

Just get some strong rubbing alcohol (over 90%) and have at it with a q-tip and some lint-free cloth. Should dissolve without much effort.

whaaa?? dude it'll be fine, that's exactly how I removed the paste on my rampage formula's northbridge heatsink a while back. I mean if you think about it. As long as he keeps the hairdryer on medium he's fine. Besides, in some cases I have seen people having their northbridges running at 70 degrees centigrade and higher, this method doesn't even need it to get as hot as that. All the paste needs to do is get soft.

EDIT: this will work on the nb as well OP

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how bad would it be if i can't remove all of it off of the northbridge and place the adhesive tape over it?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrest
View Post

how bad would it be if i can't remove all of it off of the northbridge and place the adhesive tape over it?

well you'll have to see and find out. you can try using a high percentage alcohol solution first if you are uncomfortable using a hairdryer. and if that doesn't work, you can use my method as a last resort--and im almost positive it'll work. when i tried doing it my thermal paste was as hard as a rock and it came right off

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i got it removed off of the heatsink pretty good, now the problem is the north bridge
i used nail polish remover for the heatsink.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
just try using the hairdryer if you are comfortable with it

·
Borking Builds Since 2020
861 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcmtank
View Post

Brasso metal polish.

Definately not, there's a reason it's called METAL POLISH and not metal cleaner.

Personally I wouldn't use the razor on the NB, something sharp scraping a vital piece of silicon scares the crap outta me. You should have little problem with any of the other methods described by the other posters, just be real careful.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the problem with that is that is that im not at home im at the office and i have to fix it today. all i got is nail polish remover, and old credit card, some paper towels. thats about it.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slothfish
View Post

Use this method. It will do the LEAST amount of damage(actually no dmg) to the surrounding components compare to the other suggestions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i am useing that method only with nail polish its how i got it all off the heatsink, and half way off the northbridge. its taking a long time but seems to kinda be working

1 - 20 of 33 Posts