Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, getting ready to build a file server. I have an old Silver Arrow I never used sitting in my closet. Was thinking I could use the massive cooler, if it fits the Supermicro board, to passive cool the CPU. Still undecided on the exact CPU. Either a Haswell Pentium or E3 Zeon. But, since most of the time it will be doing pretty minimal work, I figured the massive cooler would be enough as long as I have case fans moving air through. I might use it anyway with fans really low. Not sure. Shooting for as close to silent as I can get with out spending a ton.

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,622 Posts
It would be worth a shot. If you're going to have case fans you might as well have a cpu one though. In my opinion.

·
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)
8,191 Posts
I had a Corsair H50 passive for a stock 6600K for a bit. 70C max under load. That silver arrow is going to work well for passive it's much more efficient than a H50 lol

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
What fans did that Silver Arrow come with? If you have anything except TY-143's, these are quiet fans to start with. If you limit them to <800 RPM, you will never hear them, and you will never have to worry about overheating.

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
A single TY-147A with a 13mm spacer on it so it's fills the space between the 2 towers would work great. It will idle as low as 300rpm . and is inaudible below about 700rpm

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the old green and beige fans they always used. It's a brand new unit. Was going to use it on a machine but it never happened. Only issue is unless I run a stand alone controller I wont have much control over the fans. Supermicro boards don't work well with low RPM fans. They spin up and down because they think the fans are failing since most servers have pretty high RPM fans most of the time.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

Sounds like you have TY-140's. They're PWM. Hopefully you can run them on that, slowly and quietly.
PWM is the problem on these boards. Might have to just get a 3 pin adapter to remove the PWM function. Some folks got that to work on Noctua fans from what I read.

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
No need for an adapter. Just plug the 4-pin plug onto 3-pin header. no big deal.
Both 3-pin and 4-pin fan plugs work on both 3-pin and 4-pin fan headers

As ehume said, sound like TY-140 fans. They will idle down to 500-550rpm on PWM. Don't know how slow they will idle on variable voltage.

• Rep+
Reactions: ehume

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prophet4NO1 View Post

I dont have the board yet, but pretty sure they are all four pin. Hence the adapter.
The TY-140 is also a 4-pin. As Doyll said, no need for an adapter.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe i did not explain it well. PWM fans that are not high rpm fans like you normally see in a server trip out the BIOS on the super micro boards. They ramp up and down beacuse the low RPM makes the board think the fans are failing so it ramps them up to check them. Its an ongoing loop that supermicro wont fix. Only way around it is non pwm fans or running off something other then the board. Direct off psu or a controler. Its a known issue with using supermicro boards.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet4NO1 View Post

Maybe i did not explain it well. PWM fans that are not high rpm fans like you normally see in a server trip out the BIOS on the super micro boards. They ramp up and down beacuse the low RPM makes the board think the fans are failing so it ramps them up to check them. Its an ongoing loop that supermicro wont fix. Only way around it is non pwm fans or running off something other then the board. Direct off psu or a controler. Its a known issue with using supermicro boards.
Thank you for the info. Definitely boards to avoid for mere enthusiast use.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

Thank you for the info. Definitely boards to avoid for mere enthusiast use.
Seems to only be an issue with server boards. I am running freenas with ZFS2, so i need a server chipset to support the ECC memory. This is the best bang for the buck no frills all 6Gb port mobo i could find. Since its just sitting in the corner i just want it silent. Stipped down all business. Does not even have audio. Lol.

·
Registered
249 Posts
So either a 4 to 3 pin adapter lead to a 5v molex fan header, or any random 120 fan you have laid around tug to a 5v molex header or motherboard. Cost about the same either ways. The fan clip take 120mm fan.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post

So either a 4 to 3 pin adapter lead to a 5v molex fan header, or any random 120 fan you have laid around tug to a 5v molex header or motherboard. Cost about the same either ways. The fan clip take 120mm fan.
I am well aware of the ways to make a fan work. The question was if the cooler would be enough with just case fans. Connecting them is not a real issue. It just came up. If I use them I will just go 4-3 pin adapter for a buck or two. Quick and easy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts