Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been purusing some threads here and have heard mentions of some waterblocks that have silver bases, such as the Little River G5

are their any more modern blocks available with a silver plate?

what would be the price and performance difference of lets say a silver fuzion v2 or a silver apogee gt?
 

·
HEC Club
Joined
·
13,593 Posts
Blocks are rarely made in silver for the following reasons:

- Price, silver is much more expensive than copper
- Durability, silver is much softer than copper so it is harder to work with, receives impressions from CPU's easily, and may bend and warp over time
- Thermal performance is not much higher than copper
 

·
Bacon & Eggs
Joined
·
2,865 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob
View Post

- Thermal performance is not much higher than copper

Lies

Silver
Thermal conductivity(300 K) 429  W·m−1·K−1

Copper
Thermal conductivity(300 K) 401 W·m−1·K−1
 

·
HEC Club
Joined
·
13,593 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by h00chi3
View Post

Lies

Silver
Thermal conductivity(300 K) 429  W·m−1·K−1

Copper
Thermal conductivity(300 K) 401 W·m−1·K−1

And your point is? It has been proven that real life thermal performance between a silver waterblock and a copper waterblock is not worth talking about. You are looking at a 1-2C difference at most.
 

·
Bacon & Eggs
Joined
·
2,865 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob
View Post

And your point is? It has been proven that real life thermal performance between a silver waterblock and a copper waterblock is not worth talking about. You are looking at a 1-2C difference at most.

 

·
HEC Club
Joined
·
13,593 Posts
Google little river g5 silver and compare the thermal results to its copper brother.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,386 Posts
True, but its the difference between a 10C delta and an 8C delta. Its not worth the $192 the review said it cost when it was released.
 

·
HEC Club
Joined
·
13,593 Posts
Thermal graph for G4 copper base:

Thermal graph for G5 silver base:
 

·
HEC Club
Joined
·
13,593 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob
View Post

Blocks are rarely made in silver for the following reasons:

- Price, silver is much more expensive than copper
- Durability, silver is much softer than copper so it is harder to work with, receives impressions from CPU's easily, and may bend and warp over time
- Thermal performance is not much higher than copper


Quote:


Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob
View Post

And your point is? It has been proven that real life thermal performance between a silver waterblock and a copper waterblock is not worth talking about. You are looking at a 1-2C difference at most.


Quote:


Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob
View Post

Google little river g5 silver and compare the thermal results to its copper brother.

Obviously... if you bothered reading what I wrote. I said that a silver waterblock does conduct heat better than a copper waterblock but it is not a difference worth mentioning...1-2C at the most. You asked for proof and both you (ironically) and I provided proofs support my statement.
 

·
Bacon & Eggs
Joined
·
2,865 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob
View Post

Obviously... if you bothered reading what I wrote. I said that a silver waterblock does conduct heat better than a copper waterblock but it is not a difference worth mentioning...1-2C at the most. You asked for proof and both you (ironically) and I provided proofs support my statement.

K thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
The thermal conductivity of silver is greater than copper... but is so slight that it yields virtually no advantage. I would say less than 0.5C gain.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,674 Posts
Be nice now!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,264 Posts
whats all the discussion about thermal conductivity anyway?

the reason for a silver(plated) block is the anti-microbial properties of silver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChielScape View Post
whats all the discussion about thermal conductivity anyway?

the reason for a silver(plated) block is the anti-microbial properties of silver.

Bingo!!! There have been some recent discussions on xtremesystems regarding this issue. It came up when someone asked when the promised BP fittings in siliver were being released. Some members reported that some silver bar or wire in their Res eleminated all growth and was more effective than any of the other methods. One member went to silver and distilled water only and found it more effective than PT nuke.

It appears you can get .999 bars for about $17.00 to $20.00 and 10 gauge wire for about $30 in 1 oz amounts. I am thining of the wire to give me more surface area (wrapped around a 1/2 inch form.
 

·
HEC Club
Joined
·
13,593 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ChielScape
View Post

whats all the discussion about thermal conductivity anyway?

the reason for a silver(plated) block is the anti-microbial properties of silver.


Quote:


Originally Posted by LeeH
View Post

Bingo!!! There have been some recent discussions on xtremesystems regarding this issue. It came up when someone asked when the promised BP fittings in siliver were being released. Some members reported that some silver bar or wire in their Res eleminated all growth and was more effective than any of the other methods. One member went to silver and distilled water only and found it more effective than PT nuke.

It appears you can get .999 bars for about $17.00 to $20.00 and 10 gauge wire for about $30 in 1 oz amounts. I am thining of the wire to give me more surface area (wrapped around a 1/2 inch form.

That is actually not the reason. It is true that silver kills microbes, but the reason that Cathar and some other companies later on made silver blocks was because silver conducts heat better. It also looked badass. However, later on, it became apparent that the increase in price of materials did not justify the increase in performance. As far as using silver to kill microbes, a simply tiny bar of silver in a reservoir is enough to purify your entire loop so to speak.

Proof:
"The G5 is a geometrical extension of the parent Storm design. It offers an increased density of the internal structure over the G4. The decision to use silver was made to give the block a bit of extra performance as I felt this was justified by the increased machining time where even the cost of the silver plays a secondary role in the overall cost of getting the block manufactured. I also decided to go for some additional bling factor too, with the universal mounting bracket being polished to a mirror finish. Where the G4 was mostly black with some contrasting silver, the G5 I wanted to be mostly silver with some contrasting black. In the end I was very happy with the final result's appearance and I was also somewhat surprised by its performance during internal testing.

I consider the G5 in silver to be my finest work to date." - Cathar, originator of the Little River GX Series water block
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top