Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to whether the Silverstone cases that mount their motherboards at a 90° orientation to normal full tower cases (so that the I/O panel is at the top) provide better air cooling for both the CPU and GPU.

·
I can count to potato
715 Posts
My Plex/file server is in an old Maingear Shift which is just a prettied up SilverStone Raven RV01. I wouldn't say it's any better or worse than a standard orientation. As with any case it depends on how your fans are setup. The only real benefit I see is that it eliminates GPU sag.

·
Registered
54 Posts
RV02/FT02, nothing like 3x180 blowing air thru Your case. I had switch to 4x140 in my FT02 but it is not working as well as 3x180. Only downside is that silverstone 181 and 182 fans are audible and with 800 rpm are just loud. Did not check 183 coz pricy and hard to finde in EU.

On gaming nexus channel You can finde Raven RV02 tests, best air cooling case out there, aspecialy for cpu.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/161-computer-cases/408195-official-silverstone-case-owners-club-653.html#post28537408

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RV02/FT02, nothing like 3x180 blowing air thru Your case. I had switch to 4x140 in my FT02 but it is not working as well as 3x180. Only downside is that silverstone 181 and 182 fans are audible and with 800 rpm are just loud. Did not check 183 coz pricy and hard to finde in EU.

On gaming nexus channel You can finde Raven RV02 tests, best air cooling case out there, aspecialy for cpu.
Thanks, I'll check the gamer's nexus website for a review.

I can see how an air-cooled CPU gets excellent airflow in those cases but for the GPU the airflow is perpendicular to the airflow required for the heatsink and fans that GPU's common use.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,006 Posts
The 90 degree cases are mainly from when Silverstone went all-in with "convection cooling". Most modern tests show that the convection is minor and doesn't have much of an effect on cooling in a properly designed system. With that said, Silverstone has made some amazing cases over the years, and they held the crown for the best air cooling case on the market for a while. It wasn't the 90 degree mobo mounting that did it though. In cases like the RV02 and FT02 mentioned by ernorator, basically every aspect of the case was designed for maximum non-interrupted airflow. You can find videos showing that cooling performance is really good in these cases even when turned so that the motherboard is in a conventional position.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually the gamersnexus test of the Raven RV02 chassis found that while CPU cooling was superlative the GPU cooling wasn't the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts