Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

New guy here! I have been reading up a lot on the Silverstone FT03 and I am about to purchase for a rebuild of my system. I am also going to grab a 1200 watt PSU for a bit of future proofing but I am not sure if the Corsair AX1200 will fit or not. Does anyone know? I'm a fan of Corsair products and since they just recently released a whole series of single sleeve cable upgrades for their PSUs, that would save me time and headache in having a sleeved system (I've never done it and though I know where to begin and what to get, I hardly have the time.)

My original plan was to get get a Silverstone Strider ST1200G and the PP05 short set and sleeve those with some product from MDPC but as I said, I really don't have the time and the Corsair option just seems very attractive...

Only downside is that the AX1200 is huge and I don't know if it would fit in such a tight space!!
rolleyes.gif

Does anyone know? I searched the forums but the owners club didn't turn up much info.

Current rig hardly needs 1200 watts but having it and not needing it is better than needing it and not having it. (Totally original quote. . . . . )

Core i7 920
6GB (3x2) Dominator 8-8-8-24 @ 1600
2x MSI GTX560 Ti Hawk

Thank you folks for you time!

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
For the rig you've listed you really shouldn't need more than 750-850w ( mine with i7-2600k and 16gb g.skill ram and 2 560 ti 448 core only uses like high 6xx tops ).

Anyways, the website : http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=291&area=usa

says "PSU area for power supplies up to 180mm deep"

And for the AX1200: http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/professional-series-gold-power-supply-units/professional-series-gold-ax1200-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-power-supply.html

"Dimensions: 150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 200mm(L)"

Looks like it's 20mm too deep...

Edit: So if you wanted to be safe and still fit then looks like the HX1050 will do the job.

Website; http://www.corsair.com/professional-series-hx1050-80plus-silver-certified-modular-power-supply.html

"Dimensions: 150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 180mm(L)"

Perfectly snug fit there.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

AX1200 is a no-go then, and the HX1050 is only semi-modular. I suppose I will stick with the ST1200G and find the time to sleeve the cables eventually! Could be a good weekend project. I should have all my new parts within the next couple of weeks, and then I will put up some pics!

How are those 560 Ti 448 core? I've read a few good reviews but seen some mixed forum posts on Toms concerning them. I take it you haven't had any problems? It'd be nice if I could do an upgrade with MSI or something and just pay the difference.

·
Banned
441 Posts
I'm planning a FT03 Build right now as well!!! going to basically move my sig rig i5 2500k + 6990 into it when Ivy and 6/700 series gfx card comes out, ill only be using a HX650 to power it. I would love to see your build please create a work log!

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestito View Post

I'm planning a FT03 Build right now as well!!! going to basically move my sig rig i5 2500k + 6990 into it when Ivy and 6/700 series gfx card comes out, ill only be using a HX650 to power it. I would love to see your build please create a work log!
to drive a 6990, i'd recommend an AX instead of the HX. it's not a light card by any standard if you want to put it on a 650:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts