Overclock.net banner

461 - 467 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hello all,

Ok bought the following and now finding the stock cooler very noisy when 4K x265 encoding:

Grandia GD09
Gigabyte Z490M UD
i5 10400 (Stock)
Gigabyte mini itx oc GTX1650
Corsair LPX 3000 ram
Earth watts 380 psu

The setup is for encoding and playing 4K HDR. Most of it is quiet, though the gpu runs its fan all the time whereas the 1060 in another rig when not gaming stops its fans. Anyway when maxing the cpu it sounds like a small tornado. Had this issue with the gaming rig and fitted a cooler master 212 evo. Obviously can’t fit that in this case.

I’m using the optical bay for a BD writer and both 3.5” hdd bays. So what are my options?

Tried a noctua L12S and it hits the hdd under the optical bay.
I've got L12S + blu ray + SSD + 2 x HDD in that case. I think I ended up mounting the SSD or one of the HDD on the front panel. I don't have a gpu- I suppose that might block the space on the front panel. It's been a while since I last had the case open.

Do you use your BD writer? Windows 10 thinks mine is just a CD rom, I'm wondering if I need to switch to a different sata port.

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
ordered a Noctua NH-U9S.

will try and shoe horn that in.

otherwise might have to try the NH-L9x65 or Corsair H60. though id like to avoid water cooling if i can. used to do water cooling using off the shelf stuff to put together a setup. not sure i trust these little pumps to run forever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok the NH-U9S fits sort of. I’ve had to put the fan on the io side of the board and shift it up to avoid the large heat sink on the power regulators. Also have the fan sucking at the mo so it doesn’t blow hot air on the hdd’s. Might try it blowing to see how much the drive temps change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tried it the other way and made next to no difference. About 10mm of the fan is not covering the heat sink so some air flow is lost. Still get a max temp of about 76c, while running small fft’s on prime so alls good.

461 - 467 of 467 Posts