Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, thought I'd post some pictures of the Silverstone Milo ML03B case with components inside since I haven't seen any around the 'net. Sorry for the crappy pics, but hopefully they're better than nothing!

I will clean up the wiring a bit once the component selection and setup is final.

Overall it is a nice small case. Here's my review as posted on Newegg:
Quote:
Pros: -Price
-Drive mounting options
-USB 3.0 Front Panel
-Cooling(?- see below) - you can get plenty of air flow through the case, just not quietly.

Cons: -Front USB wiring is WAY too long, even without the adapter
-Not the best thought out cooling (nothing circulating air past passively cooled graphics cards)
-LED's are too bright - unplugged mine.
-QC - my front USB headers are definitely crooked and when received, the front bezel veneer is delaminating from the bezel - I will probably just pull it off, clean it and re-glue it.
-Venting - large vents above the CPU will allow air to flow directly in/out of the case, making the 80mm fans ineffective (vents/fans are well placed for HDD cooling though).

Other Thoughts: PSU: the case is too short (or just uncomfortably short) for most modular PSU's with an optical drive, but there is not a lot of room for cable storage if you have a plethora of drives - I would strongly recommend 1x 2.5 + 1x 3.5 at most, but if you do all custom cabling and don't care about hiding the wires, it is possible to to have an ODD, 1x 3.5 + 2x 2.5 or 2x 3.5 + 1x 2.5 HDD's.

I wouldn't expect this case is any better than any of the other simple slim HTPC cases that take an ATX PSU (i.e. nMedia), but the box does say 'the ENTRY LEVEL HTPC benchmark', so it is basic by SIlverStone's standards.

My setup (Bedroom HTPC):
-MSi 785GM-P45
-Phenom 2 x2 560
-4GB DDR3
-WD Scorpio (2.5") Black 320GB
-No optical drive
-Hauppauge 1250 Tuner
-OCZ MXS2 700W PSU (being used temporarily until I buy an Antec 380 or Seasonic PSU)
-4x Enermax Marathon 80mm fans (on minimum) and PCI slot fan controller
-HIS HD4350 graphics card
Since that review I've swapped in an Antec 380 and mounted the Scythe Big Shuriken which fits perfectly in this case. I also bought some black fan screws for the 4x 80mm side fans which really helped the look of the case (went from hardware store project look to classy).

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You got that case packed to the tits!!

Its a nice case, I just don't how the usb/audio ports are exposed. Is there a cover that goes over it?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh no... there's still plenty of room that could be occupied by an optical drive and a 3.5" drive along with maybe another 2.5" drive (but then that PSU's warranty would have to get voided in a hurry lopping off unneeded wires).

There is no cover over the audio/USB ports. They are pretty low key anyway. It's nice that they do not have the usual green and pink rings around them - just black and silver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone

I just received this case from Amazon. I was waiting a month on a back order. I opened up the box and the first thing I saw was the front bezel peeling off mine also. Considering I can only find seven reviews on Newegg and none on Amazon,that's only eight reviews total(counting my upcoming Amazon review)which means 25% with a peeling bezel. I know that is a small sample size but that worries me

DaveG, I think you are right about the QC, although my usb ports aren't crooked. Did you ever reglue your bezel? I am not very handy with projects like that so I am not sure what I will do. I really like the looks and size of this case but I may consider returning it.

Let me know how you made out. thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi trenz, welcome to the forum. I have been lazy and have not re-glued mine yet. I just pressed the veneer back into place, and it's staying put about 90% - you may be able to tell from my pictures (look at the far left (as you're facing the case) edge).

It should be a very simple task - just peel it off (try not to bend it), clean both surfaces (90% alcohol should do the trick), mask off the areas you do not want any adhesive and spray both surfaces down with some 3M spray adhesive and put it back on. Some other adhesive might work, but that would be first recommendation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG;12315477
(look at the far left (as you're facing the case) edge).
Same place as mine is, top left around the optical drive bay. I may tuck a piece of double sided tape in there and see how it holds, then I will try the glue. I really don't want to return it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushMore1205;12315517
did u get the deal at Microcenter?
If that was for me I got it from Amazon. When I preordered it was $60, no tax, and free shipping. Not a bad deal. Price dropped to $59.99 now, I knew I should have waited
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hey I think I am going to buy this case for a build. Does it have a cover for the optical drive? Wanted it to stay black and not have the white writing most of them have.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No cover.

In my experience a little alcohol or brake parts cleaner will take the white writing off. Just use carefully so you don't smear it all over the front of the drive or melt the plastic with too harsh of a solvent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey DaveG, Great case and thanks so much for sharing the pictures as well. Very helpful. I just got this case as well as four 120 mm case fans. I was wondering what direction you mounted the fans for airflow for the case?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! I mounted my fans as intake fans. Not sure if it makes any difference, but in this case, it might as the CPU fan vent is pretty close to the side fans. With a Big Shuriken CPU fan, the CPU fan vent is nicely occupied though.

Also, this case takes 80mm fans - not 120's - hopefully that was a typo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I don't know what I was writing there. I have (4) 80mm fans...they fit like a glove. Did you connect the fans together and then to the mobo or the psu?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I connected them all together, then made a harness to test current draw (.1A on low through a PCI slot fan controller) and connected that to the mobo. I was highly cautious of connecting 4 fans to one fan header on mobo, but most sources say ~1A is safe, so I have no worries about a .1A draw.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Anyone know of a 4 fan PCI mounted fan controller?
I'd like to be able to regulate the side intake fans.
I picked the rosewill 80mm fans based on thier noise rating. It was wrong, they are quite loud.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I saw a nice sandy bridge ASrock or ECS - I think ASrock MATX Sandy Bridge mobo that had front panel usb 3.0 with the header. You could build a nice HTPC with this case. I am considering building a low profile beast with this case.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG;11990870
Hey all, thought I'd post some pictures of the Silverstone Milo ML03B case with components inside since I haven't seen any around the 'net. Sorry for the crappy pics, but hopefully they're better than nothing!

I will clean up the wiring a bit once the component selection and setup is final.

Overall it is a nice small case. Here's my review as posted on Newegg:

Since that review I've swapped in an Antec 380 and mounted the Scythe Big Shuriken which fits perfectly in this case. I also bought some black fan screws for the 4x 80mm side fans which really helped the look of the case (went from hardware store project look to classy).
Hey! Just purchased the same case with the same PSU! (I swear I didn't copy you!
biggrin.gif
) How's the PSU holding up? Have you tried fitting in an optical drive? I'm hoping my bluray drive will fit in with the PSU.. If not I'll just use a DVD drive, no big deal..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The PSU is doing fine - it's not the green 380D, but a 80% 380 that came stock with my other NSK3480 case. The fan was a bit noisy for HTPC use, so I cracked it open and put an Enermax Marathon 80mm in there, and then decided since the warranty was void, I'd get rid of a few useless molex connectors
smile.gif

Not sure if any of the BluRay drives will fit. I'm still rocking no DVD in this one. My main HTPC stays on most of the time, and you can share a drive in a networked computer, so when I need to load something onto this machine via DVD, I can just use another computer on the network. Should work for movies too, but I haven't tried it yet.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts