Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Silverstone modular cables are compatible with PSUs from any other manufacturers? Particularly the 24-pin.

I bought a Silverstone PP05-E cable kit for the short, super-flexible cables after having worked with them before. Now that I'd like to use them, I'm put off Silverstone PSUs by the low temperature ratings, high prices and short warranties.

(Pretty proud of my lurking here btw; almost 11 years without a post!)

·
Senior OCN Member
40,408 Posts
They are not compatible with other branded units
SilverStone PSU´s by way are not all that good and most of them are mediocre so dont buy a SilverStone PSU there are much better options

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

They are not compatible with other branded units
Surely there must be *some* cross-compatibility....

Anyone researched this before? If it comes to it, I could just re-wire the connectors...

·
Senior OCN Member
40,408 Posts
There are no standards when it comes to connectors and pin layouts which means every brand has their own connectors and pin layout that work on theirs and theirs alone
There are a few which share the same connectors and pin layout such as some of older Corsair and Seasonic units but these are very very rare and the exception rather then the rule

The OEM that makes most of the units for SilverStone is Enhance Electronics and the only other big brand name that comes to mind that also uses Enhance Electronics is Cooler Master
If the cables work on anything they might and i say again might work on a Cooler Master PSU but i really doubt it

·
Registered
218 Posts
Quote:

SilverStone PSU´s by way are not all that good and most of them are mediocre so dont buy a SilverStone PSU there are much better options
Ouch, that's a harsh assessment for us! We don't think this is a fair blanket statement to describe SilverStone PSUs because we offer so many models that serve different purposes. Quite a few of our higher-end models can perform well against the competition when it comes to electrical performance (if that's the metric you use to gauge PSUs). However, we have shifted our focus for other models to excel in other areas, notably the physical reduction in size. Being a percentage or two lower in voltage regulation does not mean the PSU is no good or mediocre to use. Unless you are testing PSUs for a living, it make no difference to your PC's performance. However, a smaller PSU design can help improve build experience, compatibility, and cable management that users can appreciate immediately. Our design of flexible modular cable kit such as the PP05-E is also a result of this shift in focus.

So yeah, if you care only about the performance numbers from PSU review sites, then there are other options (some SilverStone models included). But other users may be better served with a PSU that gives them more than good enough performance but in a more compact, manageable sizes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karbonkid View Post

Surely there must be *some* cross-compatibility....

Anyone researched this before? If it comes to it, I could just re-wire the connectors...
Quote:

The OEM that makes most of the units for SilverStone is Enhance Electronics and the only other big brand name that comes to mind that also uses Enhance Electronics is Cooler Master
If the cables work on anything they might and i say again might work on a Cooler Master PSU but i really doubt it
We were likely the first PSU brand to have unified our modular cable connectors back in 2009. So it doesn't matter if our OEM is Enhance, FSP, High Power, or Channell Well, etc... they will all have the same connector definition. Meaning you can continue using your PP05-E if you upgrade to new SilverStone PSUs later. There are some cross-compatibility because other brands may choose to use models that are made popular by us such as the SX500-LG or SX700-LPT. But to be sure, you should stay using SilverStone PSUs as we are committed to our modular connector definition for the foreseeable future!

·
Senior OCN Member
40,408 Posts
It might be a harsh assessment but with stuff like the Strider Titanium someone needs to tell you that what you are doing is not good enough and you should and can do better
Stop trying to make everything smaller and smaller and have Enhance Electronics make something good instead, or maybe switch OEM if Enhance Electronics cant do a good enough job

None of your units are horrible or bad they are just mediocre which means almost everyone is buying something else
I want to recommend SilverStone units to others but with all of your newer series being so mediocre i just cant when there are so many options that are better

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Always nice to see feedback from vendors, though this thread seems to have taken a slightly different direction!

From my POV, if Silverstone offered 50 degree temperature ratings and 5 year warranties, I'd have no reason to look elsewhere.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,408 Posts
Quote:

Always nice to see feedback from vendors, though this thread seems to have taken a slightly different direction!

From my POV, if Silverstone offered 50 degree temperature ratings and 5 year warranties, I'd have no reason to look elsewhere.
So you are fine with mediocre voltage regulation and ripple suppression which limit your ability to overclock?
The best as far as i am aware PSU SilverStone sells is the Nightjar 520 watt and the reason its good is its a Seasonic FL2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

So you are fine with mediocre voltage regulation and ripple suppression which limit your ability to overclock?
There are many answers to this question; the most appropriate one being that I'll take jonnyguru.com reviews over forum hearsay.

Do you have any concrete examples of non-extreme (24/7 safe) overclocks being hindered by comparatively bad (but within ATX spec) ripple from PSUs, on a motherboard with good VRM circuitry?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,408 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I asked for a concrete example.

Things have moved on a lot since 2010... What was considered very good then would be mediocre today. VRMs have also improved a lot.

We could discuss this further, but I think this thread has derailed far enough. Feel free to point me to another thread, where we can discuss like-for-like testing on a decently-specced system with only the PSU swapped from 'good' to 'mediocre'-but-significantly-better-than-ATX-spec. If such testing exists...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Quote:

Seeing that you are looking to use PP05-E short cable kit, you are likely going to want smaller PSU too. So unfortunately the PSUs we have that fit your criteria of 50 degree rating and 5 year warranty are our big megawatt models.

ST1100-TI
ST1300-TI
ST1500-TI
ZM1350

1 - 12 of 12 Posts