Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello there OCN, i'm making this post because i was wondering if getting a Silverstone RV02 is still a good option,

I can buy brand new never opened from eBay at 104€ shipping incl. USB 3 version

I saw this case in a review of Gamers Nexus which i'll link here :

I never heard of this case, and quite frankly i'm liking the layout of the chassis even tho it's quite old now,

I feel this is way more user freindly to do stuff in this case than in my Define S even if the define S is good, but with the hands i have, sometimes i struggle a bit...

--------------------------------------------------------
Now, for the Raven RV02, i had "mods" in mind

- mainly remove the 5.25" drive cages and maybe the hot swappable drive bays. (or at least replace the rivets with screws in tapped holes, for modularity.)

- and if possible mount fans at the front, (maybe not necessary. as it seems that the RV02 is still even after all this time, a very well vented case.)

- PSU cover 3D Printed with magnets for snap-on installation, just to hide the cables going from the PSU to the cutout at the bottom

- Relocate the swithes to change the speed of the fans at the front, with 3D Printed cover

---------------------------------------------------------

All that i can say is that this case inspire me to do stuff in it and i'm stocked about it.

Realisticly. My main concern before anything else ! About this case is, will i be able to fit a 3070/80/90 in this case as these seems to be THICC and long..

I looked forward to it but haven't managed to find any recent informations about all of that. So i thought maybe some users of OCN still use this case todayh and can answer my questions,

Anyway, feel free to comment and i'll be happy to answer, thanks guys.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After a bit of research, i Know this is not RV02 related but, i came across a Obsidian 750D airflow édition for 125€. Which is a bit more expensive. It will depends of which has the better Airflow between the two.

As i'm aircooled. With a PH-TC14PE. no need many hdd / ssd storage as i'm with M.2 NVME SSD.

Maybe sir @doyll have an opinion between the 2 cases that'll be Really helpfull

·
Registered
519 Posts
RV02 is like a ram air intake for your computer. A normal case design won't compete if you're looking for lowest air cooling temperatures. The RV05 is the basically a newer version of it without the 5.25" bay area.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,016 Posts
The RV02 is basically the GOAT for air cooling. It's old and pretty dated looking, especially with all dat plastic and 5.25 bays. The 750D has much more typical, conservative styling. With that said, they're both great cases, and it's really up to which one you like better. You can do some crazy unique mods with the RV02, but you can build a beasty sleeper in the 750D. Either one will give you all the airflow you can handle, with fan noise being the only limiting factor.

Edit: the 3090 is supposed to be 12.3" length, and the RV02 is spec'd at 12.2" max GPU length. If you're modding, you could probably make it work.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The RV02 is basically the GOAT for air cooling. It's old and pretty dated looking, especially with all dat plastic and 5.25 bays. The 750D has much more typical, conservative styling. With that said, they're both great cases, and it's really up to which one you like better. You can do some crazy unique mods with the RV02, but you can build a beasty sleeper in the 750D. Either one will give you all the airflow you can handle, with fan noise being the only limiting factor.

Edit: the 3090 is supposed to be 12.3" length, and the RV02 is spec'd at 12.2" max GPU length. If you're modding, you could probably make it work.
Noise is the primary and most important factor IMO, in fact, with my actual config, i thought about doing a CPU cooler on GPU mod, (on my RX480 GTR BE) probably fit a Dark Rock pro 4 that i already have on my card and, i thought that removing the 5"25 bay area would allow for the dark rock pro to fit it nicely. And to prevent any sagging. I will be 3D Printing a replacement top for the dark rock pro 4 with a support pillar press fitted in it. Maybe not the most elegant way but, maybe a bit creative.

My cpu, is cooled by as i said the PH-TC14PE and is delided.

The air penetrator fans on the case will probably run at the lowest speed.

You were talking about mods to make a 3090 fit in here,the only mods that i can think of (without having the case in hands). Is probably to just remove the fan underneeth the gpu or at least the dust filter and fit it else where..

I would gain a couple of inches but, hey... if it's only a matter of inches, that's not that big of a deal. What do you think about that ?

·
Why is it smoking?
4,016 Posts
The problem with removing a fan to make room for the GPU is that it's taking away from the airflow. If I remember correctly, the RV02 uses uncommon 180mmx32mm fans. You could possibly switch to slimmer 140mm fans without losing too much air. Other than that, if you are really good at fabricating your own stuff, you could chop the case and add an extra 1/4" or so to fit the GPU, but it's a lot of work. Another option would be to wait for AIB/non-reference models of the 3k cards, which will probably come in a less chunky variety.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have an old FT02 that's probably still in my signature that I'm considering building in. Mostly the same case with different externals. Wicked for air cooling and water if you can find a rad that will fit those AP fans.

The fans are easily controlled without the switches, set them to max and use your favourite fan controller / motherboard. You shouldn't need any extra intake fans.

You could always dig up an old bay res if you wanted to go for period correct water-cooling asthetics 😉

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Noise is the primary and most important factor IMO, in fact, with my actual config, i thought about doing a CPU cooler on GPU mod, (on my RX480 GTR BE) probably fit a Dark Rock pro 4 that i already have on my card and, i thought that removing the 5"25 bay area would allow for the dark rock pro to fit it nicely. And to prevent any sagging. I will be 3D Printing a replacement top for the dark rock pro 4 with a support pillar press fitted in it. Maybe not the most elegant way but, maybe a bit creative.

My cpu, is cooled by as i said the PH-TC14PE and is delided.

The air penetrator fans on the case will probably run at the lowest speed.

You were talking about mods to make a 3090 fit in here,the only mods that i can think of (without having the case in hands). Is probably to just remove the fan underneeth the gpu or at least the dust filter and fit it else where..

I would gain a couple of inches but, hey... if it's only a matter of inches, that's not that big of a deal. What do you think about that ?
The problem with removing a fan to make room for the GPU is that it's taking away from the airflow. If I remember correctly, the RV02 uses uncommon 180mmx32mm fans. You could possibly switch to slimmer 140mm fans without losing too much air. Other than that, if you are really good at fabricating your own stuff, you could chop the case and add an extra 1/4" or so to fit the GPU, but it's a lot of work. Another option would be to wait for AIB/non-reference models of the 3k cards, which will probably come in a less chunky variety.
I wonder how much space i will gain by only removing the dust filter.. ?

But yes, the 3090 is the "worst case scenario" as it is the longuest of the 30k GPU Lineup, personnally i will probably go for a 3070. or even 3060 when they'll be anounced.

AIB Cards design are starting to appear, there is ZOTAC with their tiny gpus (wonder how they'll perform...) and there is EVGA which seems to be "the shortest of the bigger cooler designs" that might be my next card.

I have an old FT02 that's probably still in my signature that I'm considering building in. Mostly the same case with different externals. Wicked for air cooling and water if you can find a rad that will fit those AP fans.

The fans are easily controlled without the switches, set them to max and use your favourite fan controller / motherboard. You shouldn't need any extra intake fans.

You could always dig up an old bay res if you wanted to go for period correct water-cooling asthetics
I won't go for watercooling, or at least it's not planned. Plus, i've looked, just by curiosity, for a 540 rad. And ow boy, these things are not availlable anymore.

I will use this case to air-cool my components, with as i said, removal of the 5'25" bay area, i'll probably be able to fit a dark rock pro 4 on my current GPU. and then enjoy the silence.

Even if the AP fans seems to be kinda loud, i guess it can't be worst than what i have right now.

·
Never Finished
2,311 Posts
Had a good reply for you but migration as well as going out of town put the brakes on that. The short of it is to take a look at the enthoo pro 2. That's one of the best cases ever made for air cooling. I'll paste the long post in when I get back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When the three 180mm fans are switched to 700rpm they are audible but not loud with no wining or screeching noises.
It is also possible to switch them completely off by sliding the switches in-between switch settings.
I only set the fans to 1200rpm when I am gaming, they are audible but not annoyingly loud, and with my RTX2080ti's sli setup the GPU fans are much louder.
If you don't have an sli setup then you won't need to run the fans at 1200rpm, my RTX2080ti is around 65C when gaming not in sli.
I have had no problems fitting the NH-D15 and you will not have any problems fitting the RTX3070 & RTX3080 but the length of the new RTX3090's will be a problem unless you can find a non-founders edition that is 12inches or less.
Mod as you please, but more fans are not required unless you want to fit multiple radiators.

Last year was my 3rd rebuild of this case and I have recently taken some pictures of my Rig here:-

·
Never Finished
2,311 Posts
Enthoo Pro 2 is a great caseT. If you understand how cooling works, then you'll understand why this case is so good at cooling.

1. Bottom fan mounts.
Because of this, the graphics card gets direct airflow from the bottom of the case. In my testing, the difference between 900 and 0 rpm on my 3 bottom fans is about 2C, monitoring graphics card intake temps with k-type thermocouple reader.

2. Free flowing front panel
The nylon mesh isn't really restricting anything, though the dust filter behind does block some air, nothing out of the ordinary, though. Having 4x120mm or 3x140mm gives you a lot of airflow, and in my testing, you can run the fans at super low rpms and still have more than enough airflow to components (air cooled).

3. Roomy case
You can basically fit whatever in this case. 140mm rear fan mount gives you compatibility with the tallest air coolers (I have TS140P installed right now).

4. Cheap
$130 for the solid panel version is pretty good. However, you're going to be spending some money on fans. I opted for 7x A12X25s for the case. Big initial cost, but I don't hear the fans at 900rpm, and it still flows more than enough air for my components. Another plus for the solid panel version is you can put a sound dampening sheet on it to help absorb some noise. Particularly helpful with coil whine. Can't really do that with tempered glass unless you wanna piss off the reddit kids.

5. Lots of fans= low rpms
Like the extreme builds with lots of radiators with low rpm fans, the same applies to air cooling. The difference between 900rpm and 2000rpm for my graphics card is 2C. Also, slower-spinning fans attract less dust, so you clean them less often. Also keeps the noise down. As I said, I can't really hear my computer.

6. Best of both worlds
You can fit enough radiators in here to give you "diminishing returns" levels of performance. GTS 360 top, GTS 480 side, XE 360 bottom, 4x 120mm front intake, 1x 120/140mm rear intake.

7. Quickly reaches steady state.
Some cases will climb and climb with no end in sight, but after a couple minutes, this case plateaus which is an indicator of great cooling efficiency. Changes in case fanspeed adjust quickly too.

8. Easy to service
Bottom dust filter removes from the front, magnetic dust filters everywhere else. Not hard at all.

9. Fileserver friendly
With some creativity, you can fit a lot of hard drives in this case, and they'll all get dedicated cooling.

Downsides:

1. Cable management space
The back is kinda tight, especially if you're running a lot of cables back there.

2. You have to buy fans
3x 140 front and 2x 120 bottom are all you really need to get the most out of this case. It does bump up the price, though. Also have y-cables and extensions to ready.

3. Big
Some people don’t like big cases.

Gamers Nexus review didn't really delve too deep into the cooling capabilities of the case, quickly brushing it off as a case too large for air cooling as well as doing an average job at representing its capabilities.

As an extension, dual chamber cases with front top and bottom fan mounts will always be great at cooling. Such cases include Carbide 540 with bottom modded for fans, Carbide 740 which is EOL, 680X with glass removed, O11D XL but has cpu height limitations and side intake isn't as efficient, and some of your custom cases like Caselabs and MountainMods. Enthoo Pro 2 is just the best balance of cooling potential and price. I'd seriously consider a Fractal version of an Enthoo Pro 2. I have a feeling they'll make one within the next few years with how popular Lian Li O11D series is.

IMO, the FT/RV04 is the best Fortress/Raven case Silverstone made. Once you tweak some things around, it's a seriously good case. Tips include removing 3.5" hdd cage, removing the black graphics card cooling funnel thing, blocking off the top half of the case so airflow isn't wasted up there, and dremeling off the grills on the sides of the front panel. Those 2 AP182 fans are seriously good fans. Doesn't offer as much noise optimized airflow when compared to 120mm fans, but they work. They move some serious air and can be quiet when turned down. Just know that the fancy grill on the AP series fans do increase noise due to the increased resistance. However, you get a straight, focused airflow shape which is desirable for a case fan. /rant

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Enthoo Pro 2 is a great caseT. If you understand how cooling works, then you'll understand why this case is so good at cooling.

1. Bottom fan mounts.
Because of this, the graphics card gets direct airflow from the bottom of the case. In my testing, the difference between 900 and 0 rpm on my 3 bottom fans is about 2C, monitoring graphics card intake temps with k-type thermocouple reader.

2. Free flowing front panel
The nylon mesh isn't really restricting anything, though the dust filter behind does block some air, nothing out of the ordinary, though. Having 4x120mm or 3x140mm gives you a lot of airflow, and in my testing, you can run the fans at super low rpms and still have more than enough airflow to components (air cooled).

3. Roomy case
You can basically fit whatever in this case. 140mm rear fan mount gives you compatibility with the tallest air coolers (I have TS140P installed right now).

4. Cheap
$130 for the solid panel version is pretty good. However, you're going to be spending some money on fans. I opted for 7x A12X25s for the case. Big initial cost, but I don't hear the fans at 900rpm, and it still flows more than enough air for my components. Another plus for the solid panel version is you can put a sound dampening sheet on it to help absorb some noise. Particularly helpful with coil whine. Can't really do that with tempered glass unless you wanna piss off the reddit kids.

5. Lots of fans= low rpms
Like the extreme builds with lots of radiators with low rpm fans, the same applies to air cooling. The difference between 900rpm and 2000rpm for my graphics card is 2C. Also, slower-spinning fans attract less dust, so you clean them less often. Also keeps the noise down. As I said, I can't really hear my computer.

6. Best of both worlds
You can fit enough radiators in here to give you "diminishing returns" levels of performance. GTS 360 top, GTS 480 side, XE 360 bottom, 4x 120mm front intake, 1x 120/140mm rear intake.

7. Quickly reaches steady state.
Some cases will climb and climb with no end in sight, but after a couple minutes, this case plateaus which is an indicator of great cooling efficiency. Changes in case fanspeed adjust quickly too.

8. Easy to service
Bottom dust filter removes from the front, magnetic dust filters everywhere else. Not hard at all.

9. Fileserver friendly
With some creativity, you can fit a lot of hard drives in this case, and they'll all get dedicated cooling.

Downsides:

1. Cable management space
The back is kinda tight, especially if you're running a lot of cables back there.

2. You have to buy fans
3x 140 front and 2x 120 bottom are all you really need to get the most out of this case. It does bump up the price, though. Also have y-cables and extensions to ready.

3. Big
Some people don’t like big cases.

Gamers Nexus review didn't really delve too deep into the cooling capabilities of the case, quickly brushing it off as a case too large for air cooling as well as doing an average job at representing its capabilities.

As an extension, dual chamber cases with front top and bottom fan mounts will always be great at cooling. Such cases include Carbide 540 with bottom modded for fans, Carbide 740 which is EOL, 680X with glass removed, O11D XL but has cpu height limitations and side intake isn't as efficient, and some of your custom cases like Caselabs and MountainMods. Enthoo Pro 2 is just the best balance of cooling potential and price. I'd seriously consider a Fractal version of an Enthoo Pro 2. I have a feeling they'll make one within the next few years with how popular Lian Li O11D series is.

IMO, the FT/RV04 is the best Fortress/Raven case Silverstone made. Once you tweak some things around, it's a seriously good case. Tips include removing 3.5" hdd cage, removing the black graphics card cooling funnel thing, blocking off the top half of the case so airflow isn't wasted up there, and dremeling off the grills on the sides of the front panel. Those 2 AP182 fans are seriously good fans. Doesn't offer as much noise optimized airflow when compared to 120mm fans, but they work. They move some serious air and can be quiet when turned down. Just know that the fancy grill on the AP series fans do increase noise due to the increased resistance. However, you get a straight, focused airflow shape which is desirable for a case fan. /rant

I didn't knew about the Phanteks Enthoo pro II, It's a strong case, in terms of price, that is a seriously good case and it will fit my needs, my projects, BUT!

I live in france, and no matter how much i've searched, i'm unable to find the pro II case to sell here... Thanks for your feedback about that case anyway ! :)

Due to the maintenance / migration i just saw you message today. and in the mean time i ordered a used, like new condition, RV02 whiched arrived today...with front panel broke due to shipping.... I'll have another one free of charge because the seller will do everything to ship another one ASAP.

When the three 180mm fans are switched to 700rpm they are audible but not loud with no wining or screeching noises.
It is also possible to switch them completely off by sliding the switches in-between switch settings.
I only set the fans to 1200rpm when I am gaming, they are audible but not annoyingly loud, and with my RTX2080ti's sli setup the GPU fans are much louder.
If you don't have an sli setup then you won't need to run the fans at 1200rpm, my RTX2080ti is around 65C when gaming not in sli.
I have had no problems fitting the NH-D15 and you will not have any problems fitting the RTX3070 & RTX3080 but the length of the new RTX3090's will be a problem unless you can find a non-founders edition that is 12inches or less.
Mod as you please, but more fans are not required unless you want to fit multiple radiators.

Last year was my 3rd rebuild of this case and I have recently taken some pictures of my Rig here:-
Thanks for your feedback @Brodda-Syd, that made me more confident, and more excited to start to mod this case.

I don't have an SLI Setup, i'm currently running a Ryzen 3700x at Stock, cooled by a PH-TC14PE. and a XFX RX480 GTR BE as a GPU.

i plan to remove the Dust filter underneeth the bottom fans, and all the plastic which rises the 3 fans.

Mount the 3 AP Fans, right on the bottom metal sheet of the case. and mount the dust filters via magnets on the outside of the case.

That will allow me to gain a few millimiters in GPU lengh as well as (for me atleast) a certain ease of use by having the dust filter on the outside

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my "slightly" modified Silverstone FT02.
Basically the FT02 was the business version of the RV02

PX 1 reporting all sensors are nominal captain

With cold weather, "all the fanspeeds" and an open window near by i can get almost ambient idle temps on the gpu:

9900ks/3080: port royal: 12798
on ap 181 fans and not the louder/better 183s

IF you like to get down and dirty with modifying it and like serenitys engine room background hum - THEN it's worth it.

NVIDIA: Let's invent a new big 12-pin power plug !
Me:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like what you did with your FT02, there's so much space once you get rid of the drive bays and i dig the red/black theme. May i ask what temps do you get with your 3080 during the gaming/benching ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 3080 ftw ultras bios does hold the card at 80c on its normal bios and 70c on the secondary oc bios.
Only the boost clock changes due to the quality of case airflow.
In my "case" that translates to a steady boost clock of 1980 Mhz without overclocks and a power target of only 90% for daily use.

Since the temps with the case open are not that much different than closed i call it really good.
Considering the 4 inch sounddampening it gets exceptional.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts