Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a htpc but am struggling deciding on what case and form factor to use. I have been looking at the Intel NUC and like its tiny form factor but its not that upgradable/customisable which I do like out of a build. So I am debating whether to go with a NUC or something like the SG05/6 case with Mitx mobo, I haven't got a lot of room so I don't want much bigger than the SG05. Wont have any need for a dedicated gpu but may put a tv tuner or something in the pci express slot. Obviously want it as quiet and cool as possible so any suggestions on parts/cases with my requirements will be appreciated
smile.gif

Will be using a NAS array for my media so hdd space in a case is not important.

·
Registered
397 Posts
For my taste they are a little bit to big for only an HTPC . I own a Silverstone Milo ML05B and i like it .
I think a AMD APU will be more than enough for your needs . FM2+ socket mini-itx with a quad core , 8Gb Ram , 1 OS drive ( SSD or HDD ) , small form factor psu ( depends on what case you will buy ) .

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll stick to intel, not a fan of amd. The size is ok for me I think I need a box shaped case for the space it will fit in. Do you think I need 8gb ram? Wont 4gb be enough? Ram isnt cheap nowadays.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyReZar View Post

I'll stick to intel, not a fan of amd. The size is ok for me I think I need a box shaped case for the space it will fit in. Do you think I need 8gb ram? Wont 4gb be enough? Ram isnt cheap nowadays.
4 GB is fine for normal HTPC duties. I'm running an i3-3225 with 4GB and it works just fine in all aspects. I don't do anything other than TV and Internet streams (European Soccer, Netflix and Amazon Prime). Record to a WD 500GB drive as I don't keep programs after I've watched them.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan G View Post

4 GB is fine for normal HTPC duties. I'm running an i3-3225 with 4GB and it works just fine in all aspects. I don't do anything other than TV and Internet streams (European Soccer, Netflix and Amazon Prime). Record to a WD 500GB drive as I don't keep programs after I've watched them.
Thanks for that, will stick to 4gb for now then I think, i'll probably get a single stick so I can always add more later if needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts